Chapter 43- Caged Animals

Chapter Forty-three

Caged Animals

I sat there, in the corner of my shooting range, with my peripherals on Dr. James as he worked on Nate while the rest of my attention was set on taking apart and cleaning every square inch of every handgun I happened to own that was kept in the range. 

Several hours had passed and this was the only activity I found that eased my mind and kept me in a somewhat calm state while Dr. James worked meticulously.

Maria came by a handful of times to shove food and liquids down my throat seeing as I was mentally occupied to care for myself for the time being. I mindlessly took all the vitamins and pills, that were put in my hand, that I was meant to take daily without a break in stride, never taking my concentration off either my guns or Dr. James and Nate.

Driving myself close to madness from the lack of movement, I stripped my shirt over my head, leaving me in nothing by my sports bra, black track pants, and my solid black Nike’s, I stood up and  began stretching my arms out.

Taking long, purposeful strides towards the plush blue gym matts until I reached my medical station and began wrapping my hands and wrists. Finally putting the last touch on, strapping the last Velcro strap on my MMA style gloves, I approached the hanging punching bag through the first punch, beginning the spiral in losing myself for the next two hours. 

Throwing combination after combination, losing track of place and time, that is until someone placed a gentle hand on my shoulder gaining my attention. Out of reaction, I turned and swung on a solid right hook knowingly towards their head without seeing their face first. Readily, they ducked swiftly and sent a stiff arm into my abdomen. My exhaustion getting the best of me, I stumbled backwards and allowed myself to crumble backwards until I was laying flat on my back.

With my eyes trained on the ceiling, I heard the heady laughter from Sal whom loomed over me, commanding shear power and authority without even trying. 

“You know…” Sal began casually, “If you weren’t so physically exhausted and zoned out, I believe you would have heard me calling your name at least a dozen times before having to walk over here to get your attention.”

As an afterthought, he added, “And you’d still be standing on your own two feet. Just sayin’.” 

I glared over at him and his upraised “swearing innocence” hands in the air before taking a hand he had reached out to help me up.

“So… why was I so rudely interrupted?” I asked as I casually crossed my arms across my chest and leaned against the punching bag.

“I ‘rudely interrupted’ as you put it, to inform you that Dr. James is finished with Nate and if you’d like to speak with him, you may do so before James puts him under for the night so he can get a peaceful night of sleep tonight; he’s already informed his parents of his whereabouts but not of his condition.”