59 ; curses

Chapter Fifty Nine: Curses

7 January, 1983

Remus woke up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, as the nightmares that have become so common now, haunted his sleep and tightened around his throat with their sharp claws and bared at him with their shiny fangs.

He lay frozen in bed, paralysed with fear, breaths coming out noisily. His body began to ache at the places that have been inflicted with spells and the seemingly magical knife that didn't allow him to stop bleeding for hours on end. For a moment, he had the terrible fear that perhaps his wounds have opened again, and that he would bleed to death right here in this room, for try as he might, he couldn't find the strength in him to scream and call for help.

But it passed.

His breaths slowed, the pain ebbed away, and what could be a few minutes or a few hours later, he was able to sit up and get a glass of water from the table by his bed. The front of his shirt got soaked completely as the water spilled in his haste, and once the glass was drained, he stood up and wrapped his cloak around himself.

Sirius was there, he knew it, he had heard his voice during dinner. Disregarding what he had told himself earlier about letting Sirius come to him himself, Remus stalked out of his room with determination, vowing to end this business then and there. He did not know which was Sirius's room, but that didn't stop him. He would knock every room if needed, to find him.

No, he was not going to swallow his pride and crawl back to Sirius like a helpless damsel. He was going to demand why he had not come to see him, and ask him to take him home. Remus could no longer take it. If Sirius did not respect him, he was going to do him a favour and leave.

Once he reached the kitchen, he saw the light on, just like the other night. He hesitated by the doorway, hovering uncertainly. After a few minutes of internal discussion, he pushed open the door and came upon Elizabeth, just like the other night. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Hi," it was Elizabeth who greeted first, surprisingly with a smile. "Tea?" she gestured towards the kettle sitting on the stove.

"No, thanks," he answered, shuffling his feet on the ground. He couldn't meet her eyes, though he did not know why. A while later, he made up his mind and asked, "Is – is Sirius home?"

He wasn't looking directly and thus was unable to see whether the name caused any change in her expression. He did hear a sigh though. "Yes," she said quietly. "His room is upstairs, the one on the left."

He nodded and left, closing the door behind him.

Upstairs, there were three rooms, one of which he could guess led to the attic. He turned towards the one on the left, raising his hand to knock, but paused halfway. Sirius was there, on the other side. He has been staying here for days, under the same roof as him, and yet has never bothered to go see him. Remus was still unsure whether it was a good idea to visit him; why should he be the one to swallow his pride and be the first one to make a move? But he decided that there were far more important things than his pride. He needed to go back to his father.