15 ; chocolate

Chapter Fifteen: Chocolate

1 July, 1982

Sirius stood on the damp floor of the bathroom, his fur wet and tail dripping as he wagged it back and forth nervously. He had decided to give it another go - turning to his human form - and it was proving harder than he had expected. Last time he had done that, he was bombarded with locked away emotions, and he wasn't sure whether he was ready to face them again.

In order to decrease his nervousness, Sirius had ended up jumping onto the bucket filled with water, which was why he stood dripping on the bathroom floor. He licked his lips in discomfort, before closing his eyes and transforming.

The blow wasn't any easier than the last time, and his heart pounded inside his chest. He had only half a second to wonder why his animagus form did not feel these emotions, before he collapsed on his knees and began to hyperventilate. He threw his arms forward to stop himself from hitting the ground hard, and closed his eyes, telling himself that he wouldn't become a dog until he got a hold of himself.

His body didn't seem to like the idea, as his head started throbbing a second later. He found it hard to breathe, as though something small but hard was stuck in his throat and he opened his mouth wide and breathed, not unlike a dog panting with his tongue out.

When it became too much for Sirius to bear, he tried to transform, but before he could accomplish it, he was enveloped with darkness and his hands and knees gave away, causing him to fall to the ground. A soft thud and splash was the last thing he heard before he lost his senses.

When he stirred, Sirius pushed himself to a sitting position, feeling much better now. He looked out of the small window in the corner of the bathroom and noticed the sharp, bright sunlight peering in, unlike the warm, pale yellow one that had lit the room when he had initially entered, indicating that it had turned afternoon, and that Remus would be back soon for lunch.

As if on cue, Sirius heard the sound of the front door opening and he stood up hastily. Unfortunately, his legs were still unstable, resulting him in stumbling over, and he remained standing only by using the wall as support.

"Santa Paws?" Remus's voice carried to the bathroom a few seconds later, and taking a deep breath, he concentrated, feeling his bones shift and skin tighten and slacken, before he stood on the bathroom as a dog, still dripping wet. He looked around to see if he had left any sign that he had been a human, and when he was satisfied, he collapsed on the ground, too exhausted to move.

Remus appeared a minute later, pale face wrinkled in surprise and concern. "What are you doing here?"

He tipped his head up and barked - a soft and pitiful sound. Knees bent, he lifted himself up slightly, so that he was half sitting, half standing.

"Are you ill?" Remus inquired and stepped inside, pulling his trousers up to prevent them from being splashed as Sirius bounded towards him, ignoring the sharp pain that shot through his limbs. "I gave you a bath yesterday. What were you trying to do?"