51 ; resistant groups

Chapter Fifty One: Resistant Groups

"I'm a what?"

The words left Sirius's mouth in a sputter, causing him to hate himself. He has always prided himself in being the most confident of the group – usually crossing the boundary – and he was surprised at himself at the way he reacted to Elizabeth. She, however, remained calm and composed as she stared up at him with a hint of amusement in her eyes.

"Are you a wizard?" she repeated patiently.

Sirius opened his mouth to answer, then closed it again, confusion taking him over. She was a muggle – she wasn't supposed to know about wizards, and the logical part of Sirius told him to ignore the question and pretend that she was out of her mind – asking him such silly things, of course he wasn't a wizard, what was she saying?

But he was also curious – how did she know about wizards? Impulse nearly caused him to ask that very precise question, but he stopped himself immediately. There was no way he could ask that without giving himself away.

He decided to play dumb.

"I'm sorry," he told her, quietly going over to sit down beside her again. "But what do you mean?"

She laughed softly, her blonde hair rippling as she did so. "You are a wizard, aren't you?" She sounded almost entirely certain of it, and Sirius felt that she wouldn't be convinced otherwise. He began to nod before he stopped himself.

What if she was a death eater?

What if it had been a play all along, in order to get under his good graces to sniff out information about the Order? What if he was being used as a bait?

The thought nearly made him want to puke, as he remembered the kiss they had shared only moments ago. No. She couldn't be a death eater. She was pure, far too pure for that. The idea that a ruthless death eater was hidden under the beautiful smile was utterly ridiculous, and somehow, suddenly, Sirius felt sure that she was only a muggle.

"Yes," he answered with a soft sigh, "I am a wizard."

The look of amusement flashed brighter in her eyes, and like a child, she scooted closer to him, eyes shining with wonder as she gazed up at him and asked, "Really? I mean I already suspected, but still ..."

A laughter – both of relief and embarrassment – slipped involuntarily past his mouth. How could she be a death eater?

"Yes, I can do magic," he answered and shifted sideways to face her. "But first tell me, how do you know about wizards? Do you have a relative who –"

"No," she said. "I came to learn about them only recently, in fact."

"How?"

She smiled warmly and took his hand in hers, before beginning to draw circles over his palm. "Well, when there is a full on war going on, do you really think it is possible to keep an entire community concealed?"