11 ; adopted

Chapter Eleven: Adopted

Remus wasn't sure what to think when the Thomsons said they wanted to adopt an adult trained dog and Adam recommended the Black German Shepherd to them. Of course, Adam wasn't someone to deceive his customers, so he had been completely honest with them and informed them about the incident where the dog had attacked him.

Unfortunately, when Adam had ensured them that it was a matter of triggering and that, by proper training, this could be prevented in the future, the family didn't seem to mind and requested to meet the dog. So Remus forced a smile on his face and led the four towards the large cage in which slept the black dog, snoring loudly.

When he woke him up by shaking his body gently, the dog looked at him with droopy eyes before standing up. Smiling at him, Remus guided him out of the cage and gestured towards the people who were waiting patiently to meet the dog.

"These are the Thomsons, and they want to to adopt you," he said with a smile, and the youngest members of the family, the two siblings, knelt down in front of the dog and looked questioningly at Remus, asking for his permission to go near him. He nodded his head, and put one hand over the dog's back to make sure that he didn't do anything stupid.

The children crawled closer to the animal, who suddenly stiffened and took a step back, showing his teeth defensively. Remus's hand tightened over his skin and he frowned at him. "It's okay," he said quietly to the children. "He won't hurt you."

The dog looked up at him this time, eyes wide and pleading, and thanks to the time he had spent with him, Remus knew exactly what he wanted to say. He pressed his lips together, confused as to what to do, and ran his fingers gently over his black fur, which was now matted with dirt and dust. He needs a bath, he noted silently to himself.

"Can we go outside and play with him?" the boy asked, while the girl reached out her hand to stroke the dog's head. Remus let out a breath of relief when he didn't react in any undesirable way and instead, allowed the child to pet him.

"It'd be better if we let him get familiar with you first," he stated, and when he was absolutely sure that the dog wouldn't attack anyone, he stood up to talk to the parents, who inquired about the dog's training and where and how he had been found. Remus answered the questions patiently, all the while keeping his eyes on the dog for any suspicious behaviour which, thankfully, did not occur.

The parents walked around the shelter under Remus's guide, and he gave them all sorts of information about different dog breeds and their notable traits. After an hour, when the children were finally satisfied with playing with the dog, they thanked him and left, telling him that they'd let them know their decision over the phone.

Once he had closed the door to the shelter and returned to the strange dog, he was half lying on the ground and chewing on a rubber ball they had been playing with. Remus sat down beside him and stroked his belly, but the dog stood up immediately and backed away. Giving him a flat look that made him look uncannily hilarious, the dog stomped into his cage and sat down on the furthest corner, keeping his face away from him.