02 ; struggles with food

Chapter Two: Struggles With Food

When Sirius woke up, a warm bluish light greeted him, making him feel dizzy. Blinking a few times, he fully opened his eyes and looked around, though it took much more effort to move his head than he had anticipated. He found himself lying on a bed in a small room. The surroundings - the stark whiteness, the excruciating cleanness - along with the smell wafting in the air, allowed him to deduce that it was a hospital. Confusion gripped him. How did he end up here?

After a while, he gained enough strength to move, and he lifted himself up to sit on his legs, looking around and trying to remember who had brought him here.

A faint smell reached his nostrils and among the stench of iodine, he could distinguish the familiar scent of freshly cooked chicken. Turning his head, he noticed the bowl of chickens beside him and abruptly backed away, feeling repulsed, but his feet did not find solid ground, and he stumbled off the bed.

Fortunately, it was a low bed, though it didn't prevent his right side from stinging as it hit the floor. It was only then that he realised how weak he was, for he couldn't even find the will to whimper in pain, and he lay there on his side, waiting for the pain to fade away.

The memories started coming back to him - eating a half eaten pizza from a bin, falling asleep with a full stomach and a happy mind, but waking up with a terrible stomachache. This was why the chicken repulsed him - he didn't trust humans. And as he came to the topic of trust, another memory stumbled into him and a cold, burning sensation gripped his bones as he remembered his best friends and their son lying dead in their house.

A low, but angry growl escaped his throat involuntarily, and he scrambled his legs on the ground, his claws scratching the tiled floor with such furious vigour that he felt they would separate from his skin.

Well, there's at least one good thing that came out of this, he thought to himself. He couldn't feel the pain in his side anymore.

Sirius wasn't sure how long he lay on the floor - he had neither the strength nor the intention to pick himself up anytime soon. The smell of the chickens mercilessly continued to tickle his nostrils, and as his stomach rumbled in hunger, he convinced himself that since the food wasn't from a dustbin, it was probably safe to eat it.

Bending his knees, he stood up, though he could feel his limbs shaking underneath him. Gradually, he stood on his back legs, allowing the scent to motivate him, and reached his snout forward, sniffing the bowl.

And in the next second, he dug in, gobbling up the chickens voraciously.

Once he was full, he settled down on the ground in relief, but the pain on his right side returned. It didn't bother him much though, as he looked around and took in his surroundings.