21 ; revelation

Chapter Twenty one: Revelation

6 November, 1982

His fingers played with the pendant that hung from the necklace. It was shaped into the letter P with a tiny letter S scratched in one corner. P stood for Phoenix, as in the Order of the Phoenix, and the S denoted that it belonged to Sirius.

Sirius was given the pendant when he went to visit Marlene, so that he could contact her without leaving home. The Protean charm was used on it, meaning any message entered on his pendant would be passed to Marlene's, and vice versa.

Right now, he held the pendant between his fingers while considering whether to let Marlene know that Remus was being followed. He lay on the bed in Remus's room, staring gloomily at the ceiling. He was somehow very sure that it was the death eaters that were following Remus, even though Remus believed he was losing his mind. Marlene had told him that the Godric's Hollow was patrolled heavily by death eaters because that was where most of the Order members came from. Certainly it must be odd that Sirius found no one there when he had visited.

There was also the matter of the red light that had flashed when Sirius had disapparated from Godric's Hollow. It must have been a sort of tracking spell.

He let out a frustrated sigh as he gripped the pendant tightly, feeling its edges tear into his flesh. In the end, he decided to do it. Bringing the silver coloured pendant close to him, he mouthed, "Marlene."

A second later, the word Marlene appeared in tiny letters on the curve of the P. He waited for her reply, and it came about a minute later.

Everything alright?

The words faded seconds later, and Sirius spoke.

Remus said he was being followed. Do you think they were death eaters?

Remus told you that?

Yeah. Why?

You're a dog.

Sirius wasn't sure whether to laugh at that. He remained silent for a moment before saying, "I think you were right." He paused to let the words appear and fade from the surface of the pendant. Then he spoke again. "I think someone followed me that day and found out where I live."

I'll tell them to send out some members to keep a lookout.