61 ; the talk

Chapter Sixty One: The Talk

9 January, 1983

"He must be worried sick," Remus muttered in worry and anticipation, chewing his lips raw. "I've been gone for so many days, and I'm pretty sure he knew I was not going home."

He heard a soft chuckle beside him, before the familiar hand held his, connecting their fingers together. It was the break of dawn and he and Sirius have appeared to the region where Lyall lived. They were now walking towards his house, disguised by the early morning mist. "Relax," said Sirius reassuringly. "After we got you back, I came over and told him that you were safe and that I would return you to him within a few days."

Remus looked at him in surprise. "Really?" When Sirius nodded, he attacked him with a punch on his arm. "Then why didn't you tell me, you twat?"

Taken aback, Sirius stumbled sideways, but managed to keep himself upright, holding up his hands should he be subject to further attack. But Remus slid his hands into his pockets, looking forward. "I'm sorry. Merlin, you need to chill, Remus."

"Chill?" he looked at Sirius like has lost his mind. "I was kidnapped by death eaters, Sirius! I was subject to strange, wizard torture. Before I disappeared, I told my dad all about the wizarding world. My dad, a sweet, innocent muggle - goodness knows what nightmares he must have cooked up in his head after I left. Forgive me for worrying about him, Sirius."

He continued to stalk forwards, and it was only after he had walked at least twenty steps that he realised Sirius wasn't beside him. He halted and looked back. Sirius had stopped walking, and was staring straight at him. Due to the mist, he was unable to deduce the expression on his face.

He waited for Sirius to catch up, which he did a while later. Once he was beside Remus again, Sirius looked at him and said, "After we get back, we need to talk about … well, what happened to you … in the - the basement."

"There's nothing to talk about," he answered calmly.

"Yes there is," he replied firmly. "I'm not a good talker, but it's necessary. You're unfamiliar with wizard procedures, and what they did to you, it must have impacted you worse than it would to us, wizards. I have no idea what you are going through right now, and I have no idea how you are going on about your daily life like nothing happened. You need to open up, or it will backfire on you."

Remus stared at him for a moment too long. "And you say you are not a good talker," he whispered.

Sirius cracked a smile, leaned forward on his toes, and pressed his lips over Remus's. He thought it was going to be a small peck, but it turned out to be a long kiss, their arms entangling together. Remus was lost in the intimacy, soothed by the wind whispering over his head, the cold mist surrounding them like a cool blanket, protecting them from the world. But reality cracked through the mist, and he pulled away.