37 ; chaos

Chapter Thirty Seven: Chaos

"Death eaters," Sirius answered simply, leading him through the kitchen and up to the entrance of the living room, where they came across Nathan and Marlene, both alert and with wands at the ready. Remus saw them speaking through their eyes - significance of a bond that was so beautiful and yet so fragile - not needing any words to be wasted in order to convey their message. Sirius's fingers were still clamped around his arm, and he stood there apprehensively, eyes searching for any signs of danger. There seemed to be none, but through the windows, he could see the chaos that have ensued, and the cloaked figures that were scattered around the streets, shooting jets of different coloured lights into the air. A cold hand gripped his heart, and he felt his whole body freezing as the sight of the death eaters remained rooted in his vision. He had never seen them so close, and never had he witnessed the destruction they were capable of causing, firsthand. But the mere sight of them caused undeniable dread to feel the hollow of his bones.

The death eaters spoke nothing but death - in each of their actions, in each of the spells they shot, in the manic laughter that echoed through the peaceful winter morning. They were shooting down anyone who crossed their paths, and Remus felt that if this was what they were fighting against, they had absolutely no chance of winning. He could feel his breath coming out in heavy fogs, and his legs have rooted themselves to the ground. But Sirius managed to wrench him away from his momentary shock and yelled into his ear, "Remus, go to your room and stay there! Don't come out unless I say you can!"

Almost blindly, he stumbled up the stairs and entered his room. Another huge tremble rocked the house and he dashed underneath his bed and lay flat, making himself as invisible as possible. He hated himself for hiding, but what could he do against them?

Time seemed to have slowed down. With each second that passed, his heart clenched a little tighter and with each bang he heard, he felt that this was it. This was Sirius. He was dead. He was killed. He wouldn't be there anymore to bring some fun into his monotonous life. He bit down on his lips to stop himself from crying out, and remained there, spending some of the most agonising moments of his life.

Someone grabbed his hand, and with a frightened cry, he moved away. But Sirius's face peeked at him from above, his eyes wide and breaths heavy and sweat glistening on his skin. "It's me. Sirius. Come out. Quickly." He frantically waved his hand to make him leave the safety of his bed, and after a moment's hesitation, he pushed himself out. That the person might be a death eater concealed under Sirius's face crossed his mind momentarily, but he was too exhausted to think further.

When he stood up, Sirius put his arms over his shoulders and said urgently, "Where does your father live?"

"What?" he asked stupidly. His mind seemed to have got stuck in the past, and he was unable to process his surroundings. How long has he stayed under his bed? He didn't know, but judging by the numerous scars on Sirius's face and neck, he guessed that it was at least twenty minutes.