26 ; shopping

Chapter Twenty six: Shopping

11 November, 1982

When Remus entered the kitchen after coming home from the shelter, he was surprised to find Sirius cooking. He had a deep frown on his brows as though he was attempting to solve a difficult sum, and his eyes grazed over a recipe book that lay open atop the counter. He sat down at the table and kept his eyes on him in case he caused a fire.

"I thought you said you weren't a cooking person," he stated as he propped his chin over his hand. Sirius barely glanced up from his work.

"Well, since I'm going to leave in a week, I might as well try not to burden you."

Remus sighed and waited for him to finish, tapping his fingers impatiently over the tabletop. "How are things in your world?" he asked after a moment's hesitation. Once again, Sirius kept his gaze on the book as he answered.

"War, as usual."

There was an uncomfortable silence during which Remus stared down at the table, a frown forming on his face. "Sirius?" he called after a while. "I uh - I'm sorry for what I said to -"

"Don't," Sirius snapped, bringing Remus to look up at him in confusion. "I don't want your pity."

"I'm not pitying you," he answered slowly, but decided not to speak anymore when the man shook his head irritably.

About twenty minutes later, Sirius had finally managed to finish cooking. He laid the food on a plate and brought it over to the table. Remus, much to his dismay, noticed that he has prepared only one dish, and he began to eat as soon as he sat down. He gaped at Sirius.

"Oh, sorry," he said suddenly, as though only now noticing that Remus was there. "You can cook your own meal."

Remus opened his mouth. Then closed it again. Suddenly, Sirius laughed. "Don't worry, I'm not that cruel." And he rose to his feet to bring his food.

They ate quietly, the only sound keeping the silence from becoming unbearable being their spoons clinking against their plates. Remus tried again. "Listen. Sirius. I get that I have been cruel. But you have to understand, my life was quite peaceful before you arrived. And now you're claiming that magic exists, real wizards exist. It's not something that can easily be absorbed."

Sirius didn't respond, but continued to move his spoon around in his plate, not eating anything. Remus sighed and turned back to his own dinner. "It's good," he stated. "Doesn't seem like you've never cooked before."

"I have, actually. When I was living with James, my best friend, I often tried to help his mother cook. I wasn't particularly good at it, and it usually ended in a disastrous outcome."

"Why were you living with James?" asked Remus, unable to keep the curiosity at bay.

"I ran away from home when I was fifteen."