65 ; the prophecy

Chapter Sixty Five: The Prophecy

The house that stood before Sirius was small and welcoming, though it had been anything but just a few minutes ago, having transformed from an old battered cottage covered in trees and overgrown crawlers, into an elegant little house embedded with pebbles.

Protected by the Fidelius charm, the house appeared as an inhabitable place in the eyes of observers who haven't been divulged with the secret of its location. But Emmeline Vance, an old friend of Alice Longbottom and the secret keeper of this house, had revealed its location to Sirius, allowing him to gain access to it. He stood before the house, pale and shaken for reasons unknown, and quietly knocked on the door.

The sound of footsteps reached his ears, and Frank's voice carried out through the door. "Who's there?" he demanded.

"Sirius Black," he answered dutifully. "And my friend, Robbie Runcorn. We came to know of this location via Emmeline Vance, the secret keeper."

"Prove that it's you."

Sirius didn't need to think, for he had already prepared an answer before coming here. "Just before your wedding, you were so nervous that you passed out. I was the only one to witness it, and you threatened me to not tell anyone about it."

The door opened to reveal Frank with a very sheepish smile on his face. "You didn't have to expose me like that."

Sirius and Robbie entered the house as the latter whispered quietly, "Did you really say I'm your friend?"

Frank beamed at Sirius and hugged him, holding him for a moment too long. He could understand what he felt like. Being locked up inside a house with no chance to wander outside or talk to someone else must be exhausting. He had seen how restless James used to become during those days, and how cranky Lily could get. There were only so many things you could do inside a house with a toddler and no access or communication with the outside world.

"Where's Alice?" he asked quietly as they pulled away.

"She's upstairs," answered Frank, his eyes scrutinising Robbie thoughtfully. "Neville just woke up and was making a fuss, so she went to calm him down." He looked at Sirius and gestured towards Robbie. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend? You're not part of the Order I suppose?"

"Uh, no," answered Sirius. "That's kind of what we are here to discuss about. Can you ask Alice to come?"

Frank nodded. "Give me a minute."

He vanished upstairs and returned a few minutes later, Neville in his arms and Alice beside him. The toddler's eyes were closed and he rested against his father's chest. Alice hugged Sirius.

"It's good to see you," she said once they pulled away. "It's been so long. Where have you disappeared off to? I've been hearing rumours that you joined Voldemort's rank -" she halted abruptly as Frank gave a loud, but obviously fake cough, and she quickly changed the subject. "How's Remus?"