08 ; unexpected face

Chapter Eight: Unexpected Face

Sirius didn't want to believe it at first, but the flashes of red and green light were far too familiar to him. They were too far away, but as he squinted, he noticed the hooded figures with wands in their hands and black masks covering their faces.

Death eaters.

Impulsively, he began growling, anger and madness and revenge surging through his whole being. He forgot about the man who was holding his leash and made his way towards the attack, but the leash pulled on him and he stumbled back.

"Mate, what's wrong?" Remus asked him and he tried to calm himself down. He had to go and fight. There was a possibility that Aurors or members of the Order have not arrived yet, and by the time they got the news and came, a lot of muggles would be dead.

But Remus didn't seem like he would let go of the leash that easily.

He turned around to face him as he said some words to calm him down. It calmed him alright, but he couldn't return to the shelter. He figured he was strong enough to run and snatch the leash out of his hands, but what if Remus followed him? Taking deep, heavy breaths to clear his mind and think, he decided there was only one way to go to the area where the death eaters were without Remus running after him.

Before he could change his mind, he attacked.

Remus yelped as he fell back. He attempted to get up, but Sirius was too strong. He stood territorially over him and growled, baring his teeth, his muzzle only inches from Remus's face, which was drained of all colour. Sirius had half a mind to let him go. Then he raised one of his front paws and extended his claws.

Please forgive me, he thought, before lashing his claws against Remus's chest, ripping his shirt and leaving three large gashes across his skin, from which blood spewed out. Remus didn't yell or make any sound, only stared at Sirius with wide eyes. Then he leapt off of him and raced towards the site of attack, not looking back, but hoping Remus would return to the shelter.

When he was halfway there, he saw that a flash of light erupted and rose to the sky, before it reformed to shape into a skeletal head with a snake for a tongue. The dark mark.

The muggles understood who knew what, but the dark mark seemed to spread more fear than the hooded figures did, as the screaming amplified tenfold and people began scrambling around, bumping into each other, falling down, running over strangers, pushing, shoving, doing everything they could to get away.

Sirius transformed into his human form as he continued running. No one noticed - everyone was busy running for their lives. It took him a while to find his wand as he had forgotten where he had kept it. But when he found it, he veered sideways and hid behind one of the trees lining the footpath.