54 ; promises

Chapter Fifty Four: Promises

"How did you get that burn?"

Sirius has arrived at the place where Remus's parents' home was. He has deliberately apparated a few yards away from the house in order to remain conspicuous, and given that this was in the countryside, there weren't any other houses in the vicinity. He and Robbie walked up the gentle slope atop which was nestled the little house where Remus had lived for a month or so.

Sirius didn't answer Robbie's question straight away. Unconsciously, he raised a hand to touch his left cheek. The burn has long dried, leaving a dark ugly scar over his skin. He didn't feel his touch – he was numb in that area.

"It was during a mission," he answered simply. Robbie didn't question further.

They reached the house. The sun has risen by now, spreading a soft glow all over them. He looked at his companion properly for the first time.

Robbie, like every other people fighting the war, had signs of exertion written all over his features. His dark hair was grey in some places, his jaws hard, and eyes sparkling with determination and defeat at the same time. Sirius could see his bones sticking out under his skin in places that weren't covered by his clothes, and could tell that he was healthy once upon a time. Even so, he wasn't as skinny as Sirius has become, courtesy of living with muggles untouched by the war.

"What if Remus's father kicks us out?" asked Robbie, peeking through one of the windows like a creep. "Does he know about wizards?"

"Remus may have told him," said Sirius. "I don't know."

"What if he refuses to answer to us?"

"Only one way to find out, isn't there?"

Without waiting for Robbie, he reached up to the front porch and knocked. The former quickly moved away from the window and joined him, trying to look innocent. The door opened a few seconds later, and the man who was so close and yet so distant to Sirius, came up in front of him.

"What can I do for you?" he asked, eyeing the two of them suspiciously. Their tattered and dirt caked clothes couldn't have given off friendly vibes.

"Lyall Lupin?" Sirius inquired, even though he knew perfectly well that it was him. When he nodded, he said, "We have come to talk about your son."

His eyebrows rose. "Is something wrong?"

Sirius was about to answer when Robbie stopped him. "Can we come inside? Please. It's not safe."

Lyall seemed inclined to protest, but there must have been something on Robbie's face that made him accept them inside. He let them sit on the sofa, and himself sat opposite them. He glanced back and forth between the two of them, before his eyes fixed on Sirius. Scrutinising him for a while, he asked, taking him by surprise, "Are you Nathan?"