55 ; basement

Chapter Fifty Five: Basement

Sirius still didn't trust Robbie as much as he would like to. Nevertheless, he was grateful for his help, for he was almost a hundred percent certain that if he wasn't there to stop him, he would've waltzed straight into Godric's Hollow and handed himself over to the death eaters, possibly getting killed in the process.

When they returned to Elizabeth's home, Robbie forced him to sit down and think. He made it clear that he wouldn't do anything without careful planning, and although Sirius didn't like the idea, he was at least glad that he was agreeing to help him. Nathan and Marlene would definitely have asked him to wait for Dumbledore's orders.

He glanced at the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. His friends would have woken up by now. Should he let them know that he has, in fact, not died? Maybe it would be a good idea. He wouldn't want them to go over and tell Dumbledore that he was missing.

He reached inside his shirt and pulled out the silver pendant. After a second's thought, he wrote that he has simply gone for a walk and that he would be back by afternoon. He told them not to worry and sent the message.

"What is that?"

It was Anastasia, who has snuck into the kitchen without him noticing. She placed a plate of pancakes in front of him.

"We use it to send messages to others," he answered.

"Oh, Robbie has one like that too. But his is a ring rather than a necklace."

Sirius hummed absently in response, cutting up a slice of the pancakes. He felt bad eating pancakes when his friends were hiding in the warehouse, alone and hungry. But his current anger towards them kept him from feeling any sort of guilt. He knew the guilt would hit him afterwards, when his anger would subside, but right now, he tried not to thinking about his friends.

"Do you love my sister?"

The question came suddenly, taking him aback. He gazed at the fifteen year old girl thoughtfully. Then he shrugged. "Love is a strong word. We don't know each other for very long."

"She really likes you," said Anastasia. "She told me how brave and reckless you are, and I think she likes that about you."

Sirius didn't get the feeling he would have expected from a comment like that. He was suddenly filled with immense guilt. Did he really like Elizabeth? He remembered all the nights he has cuddled with Remus in bed, all the kisses they have shared. He definitely liked Elizabeth; he liked her company, he liked talking to her, kissing her, but he did not feel the amount of attraction towards her as he felt towards Remus. His feelings towards him were as strong as they used to be, maybe even stronger, and Sirius was, all of a sudden, grasped with the terrible realisation that he was being an arsehole and merely using Elizabeth to try to forget Remus.