06 ; dog, snow and hot chocolate

Chapter Six: Dog, Snow and Hot Chocolate

12 December, 1981

A close friendship developed between Remus and the strange dog fairly quickly, though Remus was quite surprised when he noticed that the dog refused to make friends with any of his other neighbours. Maybe he didn't want to make a friend only for them to be taken away, or maybe he was just unfriendly, and the only reason he had played with cotton ball was that the husky was stubborn enough to keep nudging him. Whatever the reason was, the dog didn't seem to mind his company, and Remus was glad that he wasn't as lonely as he was right after his arrival.

He arrived at the shelter one morning, and after checking on a couple of other dogs, he headed towards the large cage where rested his friend - the Black German Shepherd. He perked up when he crouched next to his cage and began to wag his tail excitedly, and Remus laughed, before opening the door. He fastened the harness around his chest, and after making sure that he had chew toys and treats in the pouch that he always carried, he led the dog outside.

In the grounds, which was half covered in snow, he came across Adam, who patted the dog's head, though his eyes were fixed on Remus, a small frown on his forehead. "Taking him to the dog park?" he asked and Remus nodded.

"You are aware that if you get too attached to him, it will be ten times as hard to let him get adopted, right?"

Remus frowned, looking down at the dog who was pulling on the leash, urging him to take him outside. He couldn't deny that he hadn't thought of this, but he still couldn't find it in himself to leave the dog alone when he so very obviously enjoyed his company. "I'll think about it later," he said with a small smile and left, after buying a mug of hot chocolate from the canteen.

On their way to the park, they had a very intense conversation about chocolate.

"Do you know what bothers me?" Remus asked, taking a sip of the warm drink and drowning himself in its deliciousness.

Woof.

"The fact that chocolate is poisonous to dogs."

Woof.

"Yes, sad isn't it? Such a heavenly food and dogs can't enjoy it. Shame."

Woof.

"I would bring loads of chocolate into the shelter if it weren't dangerous for dogs."

Woof woof.

"What? You want chocolate? No no, it's not good for you. I've read in a book that there's an ingredient in chocolate called theobromine which dogs cannot metabolise and it allows the buildup of toxic chemicals in their body."