34 ; future plans

Chapter Thirty Four: Future Plans

26 November, 1982

The warmth from the cup allowed Remus to enjoy the chilly early morning without freezing his insides, and as he took a large gulp of hot chocolate, the warmth spread down his throat, heating him up through his core and causing a contended sigh to escape past his lips. The snow drifting around casually on the other side of the window, and everything covered in a white blanket made him forget, even for just a moment, that there was a war going on outside the walls, invisible to people like him, but showing its effects nonetheless. He brought his mug up to his lips to take another sip when someone came up from behind him and barrelled him sideways, causing him to spill half of his drink. With an annoyed grunt, he brushed the liquid from the front of his jumper, while Nathan began to laugh.

"Good morning," he greeted playfully in between his laughter, before taking out his wand to wipe the chocolate from his clothes. Remus thanked him, albeit reluctantly, and turned back to look out of the window. "I expected a good morning in reply," said Nathan, shoving him lightly with his shoulder.

Remus frowned, his mind whirring with thoughts and with the memories of last night. The words Sirius had uttered in his sleep kept coming back to him, creating questions he had no answer to. It seemed like the more he got to know Sirius, the less he knew about him.

"Does Sirius have -" he blurted out involuntarily but stopped himself and held his tongue. Nathan raised his eyebrows and looked at him questioningly.

When he didn't continue, he asked, "Does Sirius have what?"

Remus chewed thoughtfully on his lips. He couldn't ask Nathan for information about Sirius. If Sirius didn't want him to know something, he had no right to intrude in his personal life. If he wanted to know, he would ask Sirius himself. "Nothing. Forget it."

He could see the wizard observing him out of the corner of his eyes. Rather uneasily, he sat on the windowsill, one of his legs folded so that he could turn to look out of the window and continue to enjoy the view outside. Nathan came up and joined him.

"So, I saw Sirius coming out of your room this morning," he stated casually, a small smirk visible on his lips, his right hand on the left pocket of his jacket, as Remus noticed, holding something protectively. He brought his mug to his mouth again and hoped the warmth on his face was caused by the steam rising steadily from his drink.

"Yeah, he has nightmares," he mumbled quietly. Nathan let out a loud sigh.

"Nightmares. Of course. I feel like we'll never escape it. Sirius should should know how lucky he is to have you with him." He squinted into the distance, as though trying to identify the species of the trees that lined the horizon miles away. "I wish Gillian was here," he said after a long pause, clutching whatever object it was he had in his pocket tightly. "But she has to look after her younger brothers."