chapter sixty nine

"So it wasn't due tomorrow?" I ask down the phone to Louis. It was may and everyone was preparing for the exams coming up and yet somehow we were still given coursework and assignments to do at home. It was stressful to say the least.

"Nope next Tuesday idiot, get your dates right" Louis laughed as I sighed thanking him. I jumped when a smash was heard from downstairs. I widened my eyes falling silent as I ignored Louis' idle gossip on the phone.

I pulled the phone away from my ear slightly to which I could hear yelling from downstairs. I furrowed my eyebrows and paused Louis' gossip.

"Louis, I'll call you back" I mumbled not giving him time to respond before putting the phone down and walking towards my door.

I peeked my head out looking down the corridor to see my brother doing the same as he furrowed his eyebrows and walked over to me.

"Shall we go and see what they're doing?" He mumbled as I shrugged stepping closer to him worriedly. Matthew grabbed my hand gently and pulled me down the stairs quietly, stopping by the living room door where both my parents were stood glaring at each other. A picture frame that previously stood on the mantel piece was now smashed by my fathers feet, glass shards everywhere, the picture of my brother and I ripped down the middle.

"You just don't understand do you Joe?" My mother screamed as my father laughed shaking his head sarcastically.

"How would I? when the only thing you ever talk about is your reputation!" He yelled back, his fists clenched and his face red. I stepped closer to Matthew as he wrapped his arm around me tightly watching the scene in front of us.

"Face it Elizabeth there is nothing for us anymore!" he yelled as I widen my eyes, seeing where this conversation was going.

"You cant see what's happening, you've covered your eyes!" My father continued to yell. "Sophie doesn't even have a mother, you don't do a thing for her, Matthews been brought up to think popularity is the only important thing, you've favoured him and dropped your own daughter, leaving me to pick up the pieces!" He yelled as tears brimmed in my eyes, listening to my fathers words, that spilled over the edge with truth.

"Don't you dare!" My mother screamed her voice wavering ever so slightly. "Sophie is fine, she's never needed a thing! You think she's messed up because of that, but you refuse to believe its because of that boy!" My mother yelled, I wasn't sure how she managed to make everything about Niall, but somehow she did.

I wanted to hear what else she had to say, I wanted to know why she thought I was messed up, when the thought had never even occurred to myself. But the room fell silent, and all I could hear was a loud sob, wheezing and unpleasant.

It was only then I realized that I was me making the noise, I was the one sobbing as both my parents looked at my brother and i- standing in the dark hall way, pyjamas on as he hugged me in to his chest, a thing what would happen when we were children- that was when our parents used to fight, we'd both thought it had ended long ago, but apparently not.

"S-Soph" My father muttered as Matthew attempted to pull me closer to him. I shook my head and walked upstairs, rushing in to my bedroom and collapsing on to the bed; tears streaming down my face as I choked on my own broken sobs.

"Sophie its okay" I heard my brothers quiet voice as he sat on my bed pulling me in to his arms and rocking me back and forth softly.

"Its not though" My voice was calmer than I had expected considering the tears that were pouring from my eyes. I didn't know what was making me cry so much, was it the fact that my mother so openly stated that she thought her daughter was 'messed up'? or was it the fact that my parents were fighting until they were blue in the face?

"Don't listen to mum, she says whatever comes to her head" Matthew whispered as he continued to rock me back and forth, but I wasn't listening in the slightest.

I cried in to Matthews chest as he sighed rubbing my back in supposed calming circles. I knew he would have been stressed too, confused, upset. Which was why it meant so much to me that he was comforting me.

"They were really fighting Matthew" I sobbed as he sighed nodding and pulled me away to look at him as a frown set my brothers face.

"I'm no good at the whole comfort thing" he shrugged as I attempted to stop the tears flowing down my face with little success. "Do you want me to run and get Niall? Or Louis? Or someone you can actually stand?" He laughed weakly. All I could do was shake my head and bury myself back in to his chest, although I knew Niall would help, right now, it wasn't his place, this was a thing that only stayed between four walls, only my brother and I shared the pain from growing up, we were the only ones we spoke about it to.

A/N hii guys I won't be updating this weekend bc Im flying to Ireland to see ed sheeran! but yeah I hope you all have a nice weekend!(: