chapter sixty eight

"4, 3, 2, 1" He whispered as I watched him before closing my eyes as his lips pushed against mine; his arm suddenly tightening around my waist, pulling me ever closer to him.

The cheers and celebrations from downstairs soon faded back to us, but that didn't mean we stopped. Niall's tongue swiped across my bottom lip before entering my mouth as I smiled against the kiss. I was so unattainably happy he was here, there was not one other person I would rather be with right now other than Niall.

He pushed me back gently until my legs hit the foot of my bed and I stumbled back on to it, Niall falling on top of me as he pulled away from the kiss slightly and the corner of his lip curled in to a small smirk.

"Happy new year" his voice was quiet but still held so much emotion as he stared at me, dipping back down and pecking my lips before looking at me again.

"Happy new year" I repeated his words and tangled my fingers in his hair staring up at him.

Even now, still, Niall amazed me, I was still dumbstruck by him and his presence, the fact he had chosen me, he wanted to be around me. not that I was complaining, but after all this time I still could not get my head around how he, how Niall, the boy I saw that day in the ripped jeans and black shirt, the one with the tattoos and piercing, getting out of that moving truck and staring at me, had somehow ended up here, 4 months later, laying on my bed with me, kissing me softly and caressing my cheek. It was a thought I couldn't have even fathomed, but now, it all seemed so simple and so perfect.

Niall sat up and scooted back on my bed leaning against my neatly placed pillows before pulling me on to his lap and smiling smugly as his arms wrapped around my waist from behind and his lips placed a gentle kiss on my shoulder.

"This is going to be our year, you know?" He whispered laying down on the bed as I lay with him, closing my eyes and nodding.

"I know."

"No but it really is." He mumbled as if I hadn't understood. "we're past all last years bullshit, this is our year, no one can stop us" I nodded again, a small smile stitched on my lips.

"I know." I repeated again, smiling even more when I heard him chuckle.

"We could leave, get a little house, live there alone, without any of our parents trying to rip us apart" he whispered, bringing up the idea of running away again. Every chance Niall had he'd bring up living alone together, sometimes I thought he was serious. What he didn't understand is that we were 16, almost 17, neither of us had a job nor could we probably stick one either.

"Why do you always say that?" I whispered hoping the question didn't offend him.

"Because I like the idea of it, me and you just on our own, living how we want to live. No rules, just us" He whispered loosening his grip on my waist as his thumb caressed my arm.

"And I know one day its going to happen" He mumbled as I opened my eyes and tilted my head back to look at him.

"You know whats going to happen?" I whispered despite the fact I knew the answer. But I had always thought these were just fantasies of Nialls, I had never imagined Niall wanting to be with me forever, wanting to live with me, maybe even marry me. but then again, I couldn't imagine what life without Niall would be like anymore.

"We're going to live together. You didn't think we were just going to be neighbours for the rest of our lives?" He laughed and shook his head as I shrugged deciding to keep quiet on the topic.

"But just imagine Soph" He whispered sitting up slightly "just me and you, in this house, we could watch tv, and make dinner, and sleep together and just talk" he whispered, he was going deep in to this and it filled me with so much warmth.

"So we'd practically be doing completely normal things?" I laughed quietly as he slapped my arm gently shaking his head.

"Technically yes, but it'd be me and you" he laughed, and somehow I understood exactly what he meant.

"We'd drive each other insane" I mumbled truthfully. We would without a doubt.

"Yeah obviously, but that's what we do, and I love it" He whispered pressing his lips against the top of my head as I grinned shuffling closer to him.

...

I woke up in the morning in the same position as last night, laying in between Nialls legs in his lap, still in my black dress and my makeup smudged under my eyes.

I groaned sitting up as Niall yawned, smiling sleepily at me as I trudged over to my drawers and pulled out a tshirt and some leggings, changing in to them discreetly, trying to hide myself from Niall which seemed to amuse him.

"Shall we go and see last nights damage then?" He asked standing up and stretching as I wiped underneath my eyes with my fingers attempting to lessen the black makeup.

...

Calling it a mess would have been an understatement. The house, still full of people, passed out on sofas, counters, the floor, was littered with red plastic cups, empty bottles, pizza boxes and confetti. There was no way my brother would be able to clean all the rooms for tomorrow.

Despite my promises not to, I made a head start, cleaning up the litter, around the sleeping bodies around the house. I was all too thankful for the fact Niall stuck around and helped, walking around with a black bin bag and chucking everything in to it, even though he hadn't even gone to the party, and spent the whole night in my room.

It took a good few hours to rid the floor of all the rubbish, leaving a still messy house, with quite a few people littered around. I looked around for my brother, passed out anywhere but I couldn't see him, and many of the people were getting angry at the girl turning them over to see who they were.

"I have to go, I've got to explain to my mum what happened last night" Niall whispered as I bumped in to him, walking through the sea of people. I frowned and nodded resting my head on his chest tiredly as he chuckled rubbing circles on my back.

"I'll drop by later to see how things are going. Don't do anymore, leave it to your brother" Niall shrugged kissing my lips softly before taking the bin bag out of my hand and walking towards the door with the bags.