chapter six

It had started playing on my mind Sunday night.

And now as I walked through the crowded corridors on my way to second period biology, I still could not get it out of my mind. And the worst part of it is, is that it isn't even interesting, or important, it's completely and utter ridiculousness.

Ridiculousness that had been playing on my mind for three nights straight.

I didn't understand why Niall had been so nice to me on Saturday night, he practically walked me home, regardless of if he lived next door. He covered for me, he talked with me, joked with me, laughed with me. And then Sunday came and he was a complete and utter jerk, and then Monday in history I was completely ignored by him, I could have been lying on the floor choking and he would have looked out the window. And since then, he hasn't spoken one word to me.

And I am completely and utterly confused.

...

"So you see class, the heart will still beat, even if it is separated from the body, because of its own electrical impulse, so to put it in to words you'll understand think of it in the way that you may love someone, even if they are no longer close to you, because you still have the power inside you that gives you hope that the person you love, one day may come back." Mr Gowan explained, he always did this, like one of those cool teachers from the movies, that made everything fun and interesting, and at the same time educational.

I pondered over Mr Gowan's theory for some time after class, whilst I was sat at the usual table eating lunch, ignoring the idle gossip that was going around the group.

"Soph? How did Ben treat you then?" Louis nudged me laughing, I snapped out of my thoughts re-joining the conversation.

"Huh? He was fine, I should have called him really..." I quavered thinking back to Sunday, I don't know why they were still on the topic but, Saturday's party was apparently all anyone had been talking about, I didn't see the big fuss, nothing huge happened at it, the biggest thing that happened was my brother getting together with Caitlin, and that's it really. Yet the school makes rumour upon rumour.

"Soph, has your brother brought Caitlin around yet?" Liam laughed, once again including me in their gossip, before I could answer a huge shout came from the other side of the field, we shot around to take in the fight that was more than likely about to start.

Confirming my quiet suspicions Niall was standing up, face red and fuming as he pushed Harry back from him. The whole field watched in awe as the two boys yelled at each other, cursing left, right and centre.

"You're a fucking prick you know that Niall?" It was amazing how their voices bellowed across the field, we weren't sitting that far away but that wasn't an excuse for the volume of their booming voices.

"Does it look like I give a shit?!" Niall fought back.

"You can't do this for fuck sake!" Harry boomed, shoving Niall back, causing him to tumble and then steady himself, taking long strides back to harry, returning the shove, but this time with more force and anger.

"Fucking dick." Niall sneered, Harry narrowed his eyes and threw a punch, Niall returning it, directly on Harry's nose, knocking him to the floor.

I stood up, about to make my way over there, before Louis grabbed my arm, raising an eyebrow at me and pulling me back. I didn't know what I would do if I went over there, nobody else was putting a stop to it, so why did I feel like I should?

Harry had now reversed the sides and was now on top of Niall, punching him in the jaw repeatedly as Niall fought back, trying to do the same.

Groans and sighs soon circulated the field as Mr M, the overly obsessed sports teacher and Miss Kapaldi, a smaller, thinner art teacher rushed over to the scene, breaking the two boys apart, although I can't say Miss Kapaldi did an awful lot of stopping, there was more yelling and screaming coming from her side, as Mr M restrained the two boys. The last we all saw was Harry and Niall practically being dragged off of the field, no doubt being brought to the principals.