-Chapter 30-

As promised, here's the next chapter! We got 25 votes quite quick and I hate rushing to right chapters! But you guys are eager to know where this goes and I don't blame you. I've realised the story will soon be coming to an end. But please read on guys and read the author's note at the end :)

___________________________________________________________________________

-Isabelle Blake-

I clasped onto Caroline’s wrist, pushing through the iron gates and around the fountain. However, it wasn’t turned on and there was no trickling water. It seemed empty and lifeless when I passed it. I stomped up the porch steps and knocked when I heard yelps from inside which made me smile. It was Oreo. I turned to Caroline who looked awful. She was having a nap when I dragged her out of her house. Her hair was in a ponytail but all messy and tousled with strands sticking out everywhere. Her eyeliner was smudged making the bottom of her eyes look dark and bruised, and I saw visible lines too, making her look old and exhausted.

“You look dead.” I say truthfully. She scratches her butt and yawns with an unappealing grunt. The door swings open and Oreos leaps up at me, licking my face affectionately.

“Hey boy,” I coo and gently stroke him. He jumps out and wags his tag excitedly. I walk in after him with Caroline in tow. I thank Jeff who’d let us in and I make my way to the living room, slouching into the couch and making myself comfortable by putting my feet up. Caroline drops into the nearest seat and begins snoring. I sigh and tilt my head back, my eyes falling on the mantelpiece. There was a framed picture of Nathan and next to him his Dad, both stood straight, emitting some power and superiority off them. His dad looked proud and Nathan smiled. I beamed helplessly at the picture when I heard some footsteps and there stood Nathan’s mom at the door.

“Good news,” she grins widely. “Nathan called; he said he’d be here tomorrow. Turns out the reports were out of date.”

I smiled too but the reports were out of date? This made me feel queasy and I felt puke rise up to my throat. I didn’t trust Uncle Alan, but did he make up the reports or get wrong ones just to send Nathan on a wild goose chase. I groaned internally and leaned back in my seat, kicking Caroline and she stirred awake.

“That’s great,” I smile at the thought that he’d be back sooner than two weeks. Caroline snores filled the room again and Nathan’s mom sat beside me. Her hand trailed to my hair and she stroked it gently. “Nathan promised he’d find me the perfect daughter-in-law and he kept that promise.”

I blushed but smiled, taking her hand in mine. But her gaze was suddenly replaced by sadness and it made my heart drop. She’d said that Nathan had found the perfect wife, but was she not happy about it?

“Is everything okay, Mrs. B-“

“I’m your mother-in-law, Belle” she smiled and taps my lap. “Call me mother or mum.”

I smiled and corrected myself. “Is everything okay, mother?” She sighed afterwards and shook her head. “It’s just. I feel that your family are being hid away in the shadows. They don’t know about you and Nathan and I feel-“

She stopped talking; shaking her head and I hugged her tightly. “I’m sorry, I know. This is becoming so confusing for me and I want to tell them but I can’t find the right words or time.” I choke out, shaking when I pulled away from the hug. I sobbed and tears streamed down my face.