-Chapter 9-

-Isabelle Quinn-

The doorbell rang and the noise boomed loudly around the huge house that it could startle anyone. I quickly stand up and run to the front door, but the maid (who’d helped clear up the broken vase on my first night) had already attended to the door, and in came my screaming best friend. She jumped on me and pulled me into a tight embrace. I pushed her off to take in some heavenly oxygen that she starved me off for a full minute.

“Hi!” she squeals and I smile at her.

“So, why did you go home?” I ask and she follows me into the living where I sat before.

“Mom, wanted to know where I was yesterday. I just told her I was with you.”

“So we’re all lying to our parents, then?” I grin at her and watch her stare at the chandelier.

“Mmhm, I can’t believe you don’t want to marry Nathan. You’d get to live here” She said saying the last word in a sing song voice.

“I don’t care about where I live. It’s who I live with and if I like them.” I point out and sit down watching Caroline take in the interesting (and valuable) ornaments around the house.

“Please, move, we’re busy, busy, busy.” yells Alison, who is carrying flowers and white balloons in her hand. After a couple of second she is followed by some maids carrying decoration and white roses.

Alison turns back to me and I smile. But her expression is dry.

“Have you seen Nathan?” she asks in her monotonic voice.

“No, I haven’t” I reply truthfully and watch Caroline in the corner of my eye.

“Well, if you do, tell him he needs to be at the office to have a video chat with the Benson Company.” She informs and storms off with the flowers and balloons.

“WOAH!” Caroline croaks and skips towards me. “Wedding preparations. So cute.”

“Not cute.”

“Isabelle, try and be more positive.”

“About what?”

“I don’t know, just be more positive and less negative.” She orders and I cross my arms. I was about to answer back when Nathan walks in wearing a thin, white shirt that was see-through enough to see his toned abs beneath the thin, silk material. I’ll admit, my heart leaped when I saw him in a suit, looking so smart. He had his jacket in his arms and flung it around himself.

“Hi, guys” he says with a half hearted smile.

“Oh,” I shriek and jump up, remembering the message to pass on. But I knock my seat back and it falls to the floor with a thud and to make it worse, I trip and fall backwards too, but thankfully Nathan grabbed my arm.