-Chapter 7-

-Isabelle Quinn-

“I look stupid” I moaned and looked at myself in the mirror wearing a frilly dress.

Caroline scoffed and got up off the bed. “You look fine, it’s beautiful. And people never look good in frilly. But you pull it off.” She winked and tugged at my dress.

It was an hour before the Summer Ball and like always, I didn’t want to go, but Nathan forced me and so did my best friend.

“It is lovely, but it’s not me.” I say and slump down onto my bed. I continue to look at my reflection, where I see a different girl with a purple frilly dress, diamond necklace and earrings, deep scarlet lips and hair in little curls. In my opinion it was a great look but I felt like someone else. I wasn’t used to being so pampered and wearing designer clothes. I was wearing a million dollars, and that was just the necklace and earrings.

“Oh,” Caroline brings be back to reality and I sigh. “Thanks for letting me come.” She smiles.

“No problem, but I didn’t do anything, you begged Nathan.” I point out.

“Yeah well, I’m sure your didn’t want to go alone.” She suggests.

She was right, I didn’t want to go to this Summer Ball unless I knew someone there. I gave a loud sigh and stood up. I felt a little more confident. I looked at Caroline wearing a long strapless dark blue dress with, with silver sequins and high heels. She looked amazing.

“Let’s go” she shrieked and we linked arms, exited my room. This was going to be a long night.

***

“Wow” was the first thing I said when I set my eyes on the venue. I’d seen nothing like it. A lovely glass chandelier above the guests, the tables displaying so many different canapés and so many glasses of champagne.

“It’s amazing, isn’t it?” Caroline looks at me with a beaming smile. She drags me to a table next to all the luxurious food.

“Look at all this delicious food.” She exclaims and squeals in delight. Nathan follows us to the table, he gives me a boyishly charming smile and I blush slightly.

He smirks and looks down at my dress. Does he think it’s ridiculous and too frilly? I knew I shouldn’t have wore this.

“I didn’t tell you how beautiful you look.” He compliments, followed by his smile. He puts his hands in his pockets and looks down at his shoes like he’d said something wrong. But I give a light chuckle and sit down in my seat. (Caroline still excited about all the fancy food).

“Thank you,” I reply and gesture towards the seat next to me. He takes it and just looks at me.

“You don’t think it’s too much?” I ask and look down at myself then back at him. He shakes his head and I take in his features. Soft, kind blue eyes, gentle full lips, messed up hair, he was handsome and he looked at me in such a caring way. Somehow I just felt guilty.