-Chapter 6-

-Nathan Blake-

I swiftly walk into the living room. The lights are off, but the fire gave such a warm glow that it lit the whole room. The warmth spread rapidly and the pleasant feeling overwhelmed me. My mother was sitting in an armchair, concealing her from view apart from her arm.

“You called?” I ask and proceed to sit in the armchair next to her. As I get closer to the fireplace, the hot air hits my skin causing me to tug at my collar.

“I did,” she answers, her voice croaky. She had been crying, it was now past 12 and we’d been up all night. I accompany her and stare at her tear stained face.

“She seems awfully lovely.” She muttered ever so quietly, but I hear her perfectly well and gulp. “She’d make an excellent wife, don’t you think?”

“Mm, hmm” I agree and lean back into my chair.

“I respect her, for trying to make sure your father get his final wish. It’s very considerate of her.”

It seemed to me like my mother was doing all the talking and I was there nodding and mumbling something in agreement. If she hadn’t brought the Isabelle topic up again then maybe I’d respond better.

“How did you meet?”

Her eyes hadn’t left the flickering fire in front of her, until now. I looked up meeting the same eyes I have.

“When I went to Rosehill Academy. I saw her and…she was different, mother. And I was so pathetic and almost went and asked her to marry me.” I tilt my head back and shut my eyes in frustration.

My mother gives a hearty laugh.

“Well, now it’s her who wants to marry you.”

“I don’t think she does, mother.” Again I met my mother’s blue, glowing eyes that reflected the fire.

“She’s only doing that to show some respect that dad died, other than that, she doesn’t like me.”

“Nathan, you only met her today, give her time. You may like her already, but she’ll need to get to know you. Just like me and your father.”

I sat up straight to listen to her. She leaned forwards like she was telling me a secret.

“When your father and I got married, it was arranged. We didn’t love each other at first, but it didn’t mean that the love couldn’t develop. You’ll see, respect her as your wife, not like them tatty girls your dated before.” She looked disgusted at the mention of my ex-girlfriends. I felt disgusted myself, what on earth possessed me to be with them.

The doorbell rand and I snap back to reality. I head turns at the sound, guessing that Isabelle was back and my suspicions were confirmed when I see her walk in with Thomas.

“Ms. Quinn has arrived, sir.” He gives a little bow and leaves. A scared Isabelle stands there, her bags at her feet.