-Chapter 3-

-Nathan Blake-

My dad had given me a week to get myself a good wife. And I’d thought I’d found her and I was pretty positive I did. But how do you approach someone on that subject. What was I meant to say? ‘Hi, I meant to find a wife in a week and marry her. Will you marry me?’

I was still staring at her beauty, while she talked about her book. I few nods and she was convinced I was listening. I was actually mapping out in my head how to ask her without offending her. And of course my stupidity got the better of me.

“I really like you.” Now that got her attention and she looked up, her mouth in the shape of an ‘O’. She didn’t speak, or probably at this moment and time she just couldn’t.

“I know this is really stupid, but my father wants me to marry someone and you-“

SMACK!

I should have expected that. She’d slapped me and for a girl, that was a hard slap. It left this tingling sensation on my jaw, but it hurt like hell. I faced her again, she had stood up. Her chest rising and falling rapidly, he lips parted like she wanted to say something, but we continued staring at each. Or should I say glaring.

***

 -Isabelle Quinn-

I had mustered up all my strength and slapped that jerk in the face. I’ll admit, he’s got a finely shaped jaw and the impact hurt my arm. But I resisted the urge to rub it or I’d seem weak. I was sure people were watching and Caroline had appeared carrying a bottle of mineral water. The silence was awkward and his blue eyes pierced into mine. Was he angry, confused, hurt? Who cared, he just told me he liked me and if I’m not mistaken, he was going to ask me to marry him.

I leaned in, gritting my teeth. His face was inches from mine, I tried to concentrate on the problem at hand and not his crystal-clear eyes, shining magnificently in the sun.

“Look here, mister. You can’t just come in here and tell me you like me. What the hell were you thinking?” I could feel my cheeks burn. I was furious but at the same time he looked so innocent and like he didn’t give a damn.

He didn’t speak, just sat there, smirking.

Caroline stepped in, confusion crossing here eyes gave a look as if asking ‘what happened here’.

“Sorry, am I missing something?” she asked me and tugged at my arm when I didn’t tear away my gaze from the jerk.

“He just told me he liked me.” I said, crossing my arms ready for Caroline to have a go at him. But no, for a friend she sided with him.

“So? I saw you slap him. You slapped him because of that? Belle, apologise.”

I scoffed and just stared at Caroline. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, my own friend wants me to say sorry to this freak. I looked from the corner of my eye and caught him smirking, he was enjoying this. But right now my insides were burning with hate, the urge to slap him again was strong, but I had to control myself.