CHAPTER 21

As Evelyn slowly put her clothes on and tried not to bother her injuries, she thought back to what happened yesterday.

After getting a lecture from the Autobots about the stunt she pulled off with Miko, Jack and Raf, they were promptly sent home. When Evelyn walked into the house, she was crossing her fingers and hoping that her brother and aunt weren't around but sadly, Aunt Selina was back and so was Edward so she had to give them an explanation.

It was half the truth. They had gone to investigate a rocky mountain and tripped. Thanks to Miss Darby, the problem was solved quickly. Evelyn really owed her one. Had it not been for Miss Darby, it would've been hard to convince her aunt to not sue the 'Sci-Fi Club'.

The injuries from yesterday were still healing but some of the scrapes and cuts were beginning to scab over. Evelyn sighed as she went out of the bathrooms without her red sweatshirt tied around her waist but then again, sacrifices had to be made and considering what she and the others went through yesterday, it was a small price to pay.

She opened the curtains and was surprised to see her Autobot guardian already waiting for her. She looked at the clock and realized he was early today.

'Funny, looks like he decided to get an early start.' She mused to herself as she slung her backpack on.

She made her way downstairs and after quickly fixing herself a PBJ sandwich and putting it in a lunch bag, she went outside with an extra lunch bag in hand.

"Morning, Smokes. You're up early today." She greeted.

"Morning Eve, how are you? You hurting anywhere?" he asked in concern as Evelyn got inside.

"I'm fine, I've already told you that a million times." Evelyn said.

"And I'm still not convinced for a millionth time." Smokescreen said. "Look, I'm not saying you're fragile or anything, I'm just......."

"Concerned for my well-being?" Evelyn said.

"Yeah, I am your guardian after all." Smokescreen said lamely.

Evelyn smiled and patted his dashboard gently. "I'm touched, mate. Don't worry, I'm fine. I've had worse in Taekwondo." She reassured. "You mind if I eat here?" she asked holding up her breakfast.

"Sure, just try not to make a mess." Smokescreen said. "You have no idea how hard it is to clean your inner compartments or how weird it feels."

"Noted." Evelyn said before taking a bite out of her sandwich.

".....um, what are you eating? And why is there some kinda slime on it? You sure you should be eating that?" Smokescreen asked.

"Relax, it's just a PBJ sandwich." Evelyn said.

"PBJ?" he asked.

"Short for peanut butter and jelly." She explained.

"Peanuts have butter in them?" Smokescreen asked getting a bit confused. He never really considered taking the time to learn about human food.

"No, peanut butter is a food paste or spread made of ground dry-roasted peanuts. It also has some other ingredients mixed into it to make it nicer." Evelyn said. "You should try it some-" she stopped as she realized that Smokescreen probably couldn't, and shouldn't, eat human food.

"I'll pass, sides' who knows what it might do to my tanks." Smokescreen said. "You humans really have a lot of food."

"Yeah." Evelyn said. They fell into comfortable silence for a while and when Evelyn finished her sandwich, she chewed her lip and decided to get it over with.