Chapter 72

Chapter 72

Jeff and I got several blocks away before I elbowed the back of his neck and he stopped. I couldn't contain my fury as I yelled, "You son of a bitch! How could you?! How could you just leave her there?!"

He put me down and I went to punch him but he caught my hand before it could connect to his jaw. I looked into his eyes and growled, "My mother. My own mother! And you made me leave her there to die!!!"

"She wanted to be left," he said, "She knew she wasn't going to make it and wanted you to survive."

"She would have survived too if you had just let me save her, you bastard!" I screamed at him. I managed to slip in a punch and he growled. He shoved away my next punch and suddenly kicked me in the gut. I gagged and fell to my knees. Holding my stomach, my anger subsided and was replaced with tears and pitiful sorrow. As I kneeled on the ground, Jeff spoke up. "She isn't the only one in need of saving, Elizabeth. Do you realize how many Corrupted I saw mauling poor, unsuspecting people to death? Couples, families, the elderly, children who were barely developed and unable to understand that their mother or father or siblings were getting eaten right in front of them and they would be next if someone doesn't help them. And that someone has to be you! It is you! So stop despairing because if you don't get up and fight for these people then there will be no more them and no more you!"

I sniffled and took in a shaky breath. I looked up at him and stopped my crying. My mom is dead. My dad is dead. My home is destroyed. Everything I knew is now gone. Now all in know...is...this. Destruction, heartbreak, death, sins and war. This is my life now. My old one is a thing of the past now. I'm the proxy. And I have to be what I am if I'm going to salvage whatever there is left. But there is nothing.

I grabbed for my necklace and opened it up. The picture inside seems to yell at me, telling me to do what I must. My mother's voice echoed inside my mind. We'll always be with you, she had said, right before she died. My hand trembles as I stare at the picture. There's nothing left...

I look over at the shining words in the gleaming silver. "Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem...," I mumble under my breath. The only safety for the vanquished is to abandon hope of safety. There's nothing left. No hope. No means to survive. Which means...I'll have to fight for what isn't there. And...I will.

I scowl and get up, shaking off the pain from Jeff's kick. I look him in the eye and say, "You're right."

He gives me a look and I keep talking. "There will be no more of anything. These...these people want hope when there isn't any."

"Ellie what are you-?"

"They don't have hope and they will never get it," I said, "Because they have me instead."

Jeff stared at me and then started to smile slightly. I kept a stone hard face as I looked back at him. "If you're their hero then go be a hero and save those people," he told me. I shook my head and said, "I won't just save them. I...I'll avenge. For the ones who have already fallen."

He gave me a proud look and pulled me into a tight hug. "I can't stick by you like you wanted me to," he told me, "so please...please...be careful. And I need you to promise me something."

"Anything," I said hastily. He cupped my face and leaned his head against mine. "Promise that once this is all over that...that you will still be alive. Promise me that you'll make it and I'll do the same. Once this is over we won't have to worry about anything else ever again. I love you." He kissed me deeply, shaking yet never letting his grip on me falter. I...I saw this too. It was this moment where the both of us look so scared, worried, and disturbed. I wish this didn't happen because he'll leave me after this. And I'll be alone.