Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I woke up, back in my house, laying on the couch. I felt something warm on my arm and tried to look over. My head was numb so I lolled over a lot. My vision cleared a little bit so I could see a figure kneeling near me. I looked around some more and saw another figure but it was smaller. My sight got better and I could see the smaller one clearly. It was a dog sitting patiently but it looked weird. That smiling dog! I looked over at the other figure and saw dark hair and a white hoodie. But through that dark hair I saw a little peek of a wide smile. I screamed and yanked my arm away. I got up jumped over the other side of the couch. I headed for my room but immediately stumbled and hit the floor. I looked and saw my feet bandaged. That's right, they were cut up and swollen from running on twigs and rocks. But that didn't stop me from trying to escape. I crawled, hulling my entire body with my arms only. This was getting me no where.

The dog came around and looked down at me. I ignored it and kept trying to move. The dog grabbed my shirt collar in its mouth and dragged me back around the couch. I tried to whack it but I was still a bit weak. Curse my flimsiness! The smiling dog dragged me to that Jeff guy, who was sitting patiently on the floor. The dog let go of me and I sat up. I eyed it and it just growled slightly. I looked back towards Jeff and sneered. "Come to kill me again, I see," I grumbled. He wasn't phased. He just kept staring blankly at me which was kind of creeping me out. It was quiet in the room, the only sounds were that dog scratching itself and getting fur all over the damn carpet! I sighed. I'm gonna have to clean that up later. If there is a later, that is.

I looked at my bandaged feet and then back at Jeff, who was still staring. I relaxed a bit then asked, "Did you fix my feet?" He looked down and said, "I had to...they were in pretty bad shape."

"The irony that you'd fix them up after I used them to step on your face last night," I teased. He frowned and growled, "Shut up!" I kind of jumped when he said that in that tone. A loud and harsh tone like that scares me. He realized that I got uneasy and sighed. "Give me damn your arm," he said, "I wasn't done with it yet." I was hesitant to do it but I reached it out anyways. He grabbed some bandages that were placed next to him and started cleaning my wound. As he did I got some time to look at the dog. It was sitting there, staring at me too. It wasn't the prettiest the hound, I'll give you that. I always liked Huskies...but this was no Husky. It may have some features but it's definitely no Husky. I grew uneasy as it kept staring at me, like I'm dinner or something. I decided to figure out what the hell that thing was. "Is that...a dog?" I ask. Jeff nodded and didn't say a word. "What's...wrong with its face?" I ask. Jeff looked up at me and said, "He's just like that. Don't stare if you don't like his look."

"Well, I'm just asking. He's kind of like you." Jeff shrugs. "I guess," he mumbles. He started putting some cream on the wound now. "Where is he from," I ask Jeff. He stops and looks over at the dog. "I'm not sure myself," he says, "I just found him out on the streets with no home so I took him in. He's my pet now." I actaully found that sweet. He'd do that for a dog like that. I'd be afriad of it. But I guess since they're the same in a way Jeff isn't bothered by it and neither is the dog. "What's his name," I ask. Jeff looks over at it and gives the dog a warm look. "His name is simply Smile." That is a simple name. Smile, because he has a huge smile? Seems obvious enough. If anyone asked why Jeff calls him that they must be stupid not to see.

Jeff reaches over and pets Smile gently. The dog brushes up against his hand and licks him. It's actually quite cute in a way. Despite the weird smile he seems to be a nice dog. Jeff looks at me and asks, "Would you like to pet him?" I immediately get the feeling that if I try Smile will bite my hand off. But Jeff keeps beckoning me and I have no choice but to pet him. I slowly reach over and hover my hand near his head. Smile sniffs it and eyes it suspiciously. I'm just gonna say good-bye to my hand real quick now. I close my eyes and as soon as I do I feel something against it. I squeak a little and look. Smile just had his head under it is all. I start to scratch him gently and Smile doesn't seem to bite me yet. Then he licked my hand too and suddenly leaped onto my lap. He licked my thigh and rested his head there. I put my hand on his back and pet him for a while. Before I knew it Smile had fallen asleep.