Chapter 74

Chapter 74

Jeff's POV

Gouging out the eyes and hearts of Corrupted is relieving, especially when you know that your girlfriend is about to screw the world over because some cosmic douche is her father and wanted to use her the entire fucking time so basically everyone is screwed and so far I'm the only one who can do anything about it.

I need a drink.

Badly.

Scarecrow led the way for me so she could help me get to Ellie. Though she doesn't consider it helping. Of course, we ran into Corrupted wherever we went. I managed to help some people out even though they were freaking out about it because...well...my face...

But sometimes I wasn't so successful. I was trying desperately to hold on to a woman's hand and she did the same. A Corrupted had a grip on her leg as it snarled and spit at us. Scarecrow was busy taking care of a larger sized one at the time so the woman only had me to count on. But, with one jerk, the Corrupted had yanked her out of my grip and into its maw. I froze and watched in utter horror as she was ripped apart. I had gotten angry and charged at it. It just smacked me around but I still persisted. It had lunged forward and bit into my upper arm but I took the chance to stab it in between the beady red eyes. It let me go and I kicked it down to expose its underbelly. Once I did that, I pounced on it and repeatedly stabbed into its chest, over and over again until it decayed. And, as disgusting as everything else, all that remained were black ashes and the remains of the woman I was trying to save.

I accidentally stepped on entrails and nearly hacked up bile. But I quickly got a hold of myself and left the scene behind. Scarecrow had just finished killing the Corrupted she was fighting before and was walking to me, sheathing her scythe. She looked down at my arm and pointed. I sighed once looking through my torn sleeve and at the pulsating black marks and took out a syringe from the drop leg pouch. I inserted the needle into my skin and pushed the cerulean chemical into my system. Once the black marks were gone I took the needle out and put it away.

"Are you okay?" Scarecrow asked. I nodded and took in a deep breath to sustain my nerves. "Let's just keep going," I muttered and trudged on. I heard her footsteps quickly follow after me and we continued on our way. As we walked, I asked, "So, how the hell is Zalgo Elizabeth's father?"

Scarecrow sighed and replied, "He used a part of his essence to give her new life. His blood is her blood, therefore she is his reborn offspring. But I highly doubt she would've remembered that ever happening. Before she died the parents she had were her biological parents. She had their DNA, and all. But when she died and made the deal, she was reborn from Zalgo's DNA, if you could call it that."

"So," I mumbled, "her parents weren't her parents...but they were...yet they still weren't...?"

She patted my shoulder. "Don't start breaking your brain already. You'll need it later." She slightly walked ahead of me and I went my pace, feeling highly confused. "I don't get how this could've happened," I muttered under my breath. Scarecrow heard me and said, "I haven't the slightest clue. I'm guessing Elizabeth's death was an opportunity for him to have the upper hand in battle once this day came."

"You make it sound like she's actually dead," I said.

"Well, technically she is," she answered. "Zalgo is just keeping her alive. Not to be rude, but basically, you've been in love with a living corpse."

I gulped and looked down at the ground, feeling really uncomfortable. But, corpse or not, Elizabeth is my Sunshine and I'll love her no matter what, which is why I'll save her from Zalgo's twisted plan. I clenched my fists and grit my teeth.