Chapter 63

Chapter 63

"The truth?" Johanna asked, "What the hell do you mean by 'the truth'"?

I looked down at her then over at Addie. Both were equally confused, terrified and yet still concerned. I told them both to take a seat somewhere and they sat on a couch. I stood in front of them and sighed, rubbing my temple nervously. "Before I begin," I start, "I want to make sure you guys don't freak out in the middle of my explanation. Save your WTF's for when I'm done."

"Can't make any promises," Addie muttered and I pursed my lips. "Okay," I add, "First off...that criminal in the house isn't going to kill us or hurt us in anyway. Right, Jeff?" I turn to see Jeff walking down the stairs and he stopped at the bottom step. He was eyeing Johanna in anxiety and I looked to see Johanna glaring him to death. Addie perked up in her seat and said, "Wait, did you say Jeff? J...Jeff the killer? As in the Jeff the killer in the story Ian spread? The one who is supposedly killing people in the town?" I nodded and her face went pale.

"Why should we trust him?" Johanna hissed.

"You're still alive, aren't you?" Jeff remarked and her glare intensified. I scoffed and added, "You can trust him because he is my partner. And he's also my....my," -I cough- "boyfriend."

"Wh...what?" Addie asked, leaning forward to hear me better. I sigh and repeat, "He's my boyfriend."

My friends stare at me for what seemed like hours, practically forever. Their expressions blank and I was afraid I broke them. Then, Johanna snapped out of her shock and scowled toward Jeff. "You bastard," she growled and Addie had to lay a hand on her shoulder to keep her seated. "Please, don't get angry," I pleaded and she gave me a sarcastic smile. "Oh yeah, I'm not angry at all. I'm furious! What kind of person dates a psycho serial killer?! That's messed up!"

"That's sexy," Addie mumbled and Johanna, Jeff and I turn to her and give her weird looks. Addie shrugged and Johanna face-palmed herself. "Anyway," I started, breaking the tension, "He won't hurt us. And if he does then I'll protect you guys, though I doubt it'll happen. Second in my explanation...I'm not normal."

"Nobody is," Jeff said and I glare at him, telling him to shut up on this one. I turn back to my friends and say, "I'm not exactly the girl you used to know. I mean- I am...but I'm not an ordinary person anymore. You see, earlier this year I discovered that I'm, what is known as, the proxy. I have strange abilities that can't really be explained. I have been dragged into a world that would send someone into a state of insanity, and I am destined to fight and possibly sacrifice my life in order to save all of humanity from a being called Zalgo. That's why I have these wounds from previous battles." I gesture to my own body and they looked at my legs and face. "Some were merely scratches, others not so much." I lifted up my shirt to reveal a long, glazed over scar running down my side, it passed the hem of my shorts.

I put my shirt down and spoke, "I have also gained other marks though they are to distinguish what I am." I presented my wrists to them to let them see the twin symbols on either wrist. The O with the X crossed over it. The girls just stared at them and I had to put my hands down in order for them to pay attention to me. "This whole thing is also the reason why I have been gone for weeks. I went to live with other...things in order to be protected and trained. And then when I left the second time it was to find someone who knows what I've been through. But things didn't turn out well..." My eyes stung just from thinking about what happened. I shook my head, ignoring the sadness and I inhaled deeply. "I didn't want to tell either of you, fear that you'd reject me and see me as a monster or worse, you would get too involved and possibly get hurt. I don't want to put anyone in danger, not you two, or Ian and especially not my parents. By the way, they know too. So does Ian. He's always known about this whole thing, even before I did. And Travis? He was killed by an enemy of Jeff's, though that's another story for a different time. The point is, anyone in my 'normal' life will eventually get mixed up in my 'weird' life. Ian nearly got his kidney's eaten, my mom and dad were attacked by this monster thing and Travis is now dead. And I'm scared that you guys are next. I'm sorry you had to find out this way but it was only to protect you! You guys don't know what my enemies are capable of, which is why either me, Jeff and anyone else in my 'weird' life is the only people who can fight them. I know what I'm doing. I can fight. I could take down a whole horde of Maddy's people but I just choose not to because despite who pisses me off and who doesn't...no one deserves to be involved in this. No one deserves to die because it's my fault. I have to save all of humanity, for Christ's sake! I can barely keep you two away from this let alone save the life of my-." I stopped myself from mentioning my Grandma and I frowned. My fists were clenched and my shoulders were tense. "I love you guys, and because I love you I had to stay away. People used to be in my position and each of them had to leave behind their families and friends in order to keep them safe! I would've done that by now but something threatened to kill you and everyone else I love if I didn't come back! So I did, and that only got me in more trouble. I'm sorry. We're friends and we tell each other everything and anything...but this was something meant for me and me alone. I'm destined to protect, to fight and to win. And I will. So please...don't reject me like so many people have before. I was alone because people thought I was a freak. And now I'm just a freak with powers who might be going insane! I would beg for you guys to forget me and leave me alone to live a life of isolation from the world. But, I'm not like the people before me... I want to make things work. I-I want to still live this life! I want to be with you to make you happy and to be happy myself! I need an escape from the horrifying reality that is mine and you and my parents are my anchor. You keep me here. You keep me somewhat normal and sane! You make me feel like I did before. Back then, I always wanted to be normal but I took that all for granted. Now I'm the proxy and there's no turning back. Please...don't cast me out as a monster. I'm still Elizabeth! I'm still your friend! And I'll always be. And if you two hate me and wish to never see me again then I understand, but please just know that I would try my all to protect you! I would go through whatever pain to keep everyone safe. It's what I'm meant for."