Chapter 75

*FINA-FUCKING-LLY

GOMEN*

Chapter 75

Jeff's POV

Scarecrow's pleading calls faded more and more as I just kept running and running. I couldn't stop. I didn't want to stop. I needed to keep going. For Ellie's sake. I don't care if she's already too far gone, I will find a way to bring her back. This will all be over if I can just bring her back...!

The streets I once roamed freely and dominantly were now filled with nothing but rubble and devastation. That can go away if I can succeed. The sky I looked up at every morning isn't as welcoming as it used to be. That can go away too. The air that gave life and supply was now seemingly poisonous and suffocating. That can go away. This can all go away! All I have to do is bring Ellie back!

The bright crimson light in the sky kept getting closer and I could hear the sounds coming from there more distinctly. I turned a corner and ran down the next street. My heart was racing and my nerves wouldn't calm. I was scared. I was ultimately terrified. I don't want to die. I don't want to die. I don't want to die knowing...that I won't see Elizabeth everyday. Before all of this, I couldn't care less whether I ended up getting arrested or shot down, or killed in prison or be put on death row. I didn't care. I didn't care. I always knew monsters existed. They weren't just in my head. I know they could kill me but I just wouldn't care. I had nothing to live for, nothing to satisfy, nothing to prove. I was just another murderer. But now, instead of caring less whether I died or not, I want to die with purpose.

If I'm going down, then I'm taking all that I can with me.

The more I neared the source of the crimson light the more the air around me seemed more pressurized and thick. Everything blurred as I ran. I just have to turn another corner and I'll see Elizabeth. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. The street corner was getting closer, twenty, ten, five, three feet away...

Almost there...

I passed the street corner and the light had ceded. More of that ash filled the air here than anywhere else I've passed by. Down the street I saw a figure upon nothing but what seemed to look like a pile of burning charcoal. As I kept getting closer I could see it was only burning rubble from broken buildings and bits of asphalt.

I kept running towards that figure, wondering who it was. The flames of the pile were too high and too bright, leaving the figure to look like a shadow. Until I was about a few meters away I started to see the figure's features more clearly. A body armor suit, black hair down and slightly disheveled, it's a girl judging by the shape and structure of the sides and hips. It only took me a few more feet to realize who it was. "Elizabeth!" I gasped, more in shock than trying to get her attention. I ran faster to get to her. But within the few moments it took for me to build up more momentum, she had turned to look at me and I stopped dead in my tracks.

That same shade of red that unsettles me. The black, tribal looking marks upon her face. The evil scowl of utter hatred and rage. Her red eyes glint with ferocious flare as they peek through that black hair. I can just see the passion to destroy in those deadly orbs. She glares at me like a rabid, vicious wolf. Scarecrow was right. This isn't Elizabeth. I don't even know who to call her- WHAT to call her. He did it... Zalgo really fucking did it...

"....E...Ellie...?" I said with a quivering voice. She just cocked her head to the side and examined me.

Like a predator to their prey...

She straightened up and started coming down from the burning rubble. She was unaffected by the flames as she just walked straight through them. As she walked towards me, like a sneaking tiger ready to pounce, I could see the snow at her feet just...melt and sizzle. I gulped and just stood there until she was right in front of me. I was shaking. Not from fear but mainly because her whole vibe weighed me down to the point where my chest hurt after five seconds within her space of energy. I could barely breathe.