Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I felt someone's arms around me, gently holding me and keeping me from falling. I felt steady breathing on my forehead and finally opened my eyes. I jolted when I saw Jeff's face right in front of me. Since when did I turn around? Holy crap this is awkward. But apparently I was just so tired I didn't give a damn, so I went back to sleep, slightly cuddling into Jeff. I'm cold, it's not my fault his hoodie is so damn fluffy. It really is. I actually want to wear it but I'm sure he wouldn't let me. After a couple of moments I open my eyes as a realization hit me. It's Monday today! What time is it?!

I sit up and grab my phone from off the coffee table. I press the on button and see it's 9:45. Dammit! The school won't let me in past 10:20! I have to go now! I uncover myself and leap out only to have my foot snagged on the blanket making me trip onto the floor. I moan and push myself up. I looked up at Jeff and see he's still asleep considering my little tumble. I roll my eyes and get up, careful not to wake him up. I was about to get up the stairs when I feel my nose tickle slightly. Then a lot. I sneeze and sniffle. Even though I usually sneeze like a kitten (Addie and Johanna seem to think that I do) this time it was loud. But Jeff didn't wake up. I smiled and sighed in relief. Suddenly Jeff bolts up, shouts "Don't rape me!", then leaps over the couch only to slip and face plant. I just stared at him and shook my head. Seriously, he wakes up from just a sigh? What. The hell? He got up and panted. He waved at me and said, "Good morning!" 

"Yeah...," I said, "good morning. That...that was quite a show there...yeah." He scoffs and shrugs awkwardly. "Well ya know? Always gotta get a good start to the day," he chimed. 

"By yelling 'don't rape me'," I asked. He stared at me then said, "Always gotta get ready for jail!" Then he lowers his voice and says, "Never know when you might drop the soap-."

"Okay!" I exclaimed. "That's nice to know Jeff. Really it is, but I have to get ready for school." I turn around to go up and I hear him say, "They still have that?" I turned and gave him a look. "Yes Jeff, they do." I run up before anything else went wrong. I grabbed some clothes from my room and put them on. I run into the bathroom and get my hair straightener ready. I run downstairs and grab a little snack. I rush through all of my morning routine. Once I finally fixed my hair I slipped on my shoes and put my jacket and bag on. "I'm leaving Jeff! Don't stay long, "I say hastily and run out the door before he could respond. I run all the way to school. After a while I can see the school's front gate. I take a sigh of relief as I can see it's still open. I run through and head for the office to get a late slip. Once I get my slip I head for the class I'm supposed to have at this time. I go in and people stare at me in awe. Then total hatred and ignore me. I disregard it and take my seat. Even though I'm given those looks almost every single day, this time it doesn't feel right. They didn't look at me like that because I'm the outcast. It's something else. And I have a pretty good idea about what it is. 

...

I was sitting with Addie and Johanna in lunch. Johanna told me that word gets around fast. Almost everyone in the entire school knows about what happened to Ian. Even the fact that he'll be getting the transplant. "But why is everyone angry at me?" I ask, "I'm not that one that did it." 

"We know," Addie says sweetly, "and everyone else knows too. But they're starting to think that you're bad news, Ellie." 

I stare at her for a while and say, "Wh...what do you mean?" Johanna gives me a sympathetic look and says, "Everyone's saying you're bad luck. You bring evil around, not that it's true. We wouldn't believe in that crap." 

"But," I start, "it's not like there's any other evidence that I'm 'bad luck'. 'Ian was attacked by some maniac and it just so happened to be at the outcast's house'. That's not enough for them to accuse me of such things."