Chapter 73

Chapter 73

Jeff's POV

"Watch out!" Masky cried.

I ducked just in time to avoid projectile, acidic spit. A Corrupted growled behind me and I quickly leaped to the side before it could charge towards me. It skidded to a stop and sharply turned to me. It lunges forward to bite at my head but I quickly stabbed it in the face. It screeched and I saw Masky come up from the right and tackle it down onto its side. Hoodie came in, raising up a steel pipe and bashing it onto the Corrupted's head repeatedly. Rotten brain matter spilled out of the cracks of its skull and I retched in disgust. Why do these things have to be so appalling? They make me shudder in disgust more than I shudder over society.

Once Hoodie drove his pipe into the Corrupted's chest and hit the heart it died and we all panted. The ground around us was covered in ash from the many others we had to kill. I've seen more than I can handle. I covered my face only to smear black and red blood all over it. I quickly put my hands down and stare at the ground. My body is shaking with anxiety and adrenaline. I haven't trembled like this in years. Not since that day.

I knew this day would be messy but I didn't think it'd be this bad. I watched so many people die and, for the first time, I was repulsed by it. I even felt guilty because I knew I should have been there to help them out. Watching a monster, born to make Hell look like a time-out area, tear apart living, breathing people. They destroy every bit of innocence they see and I can't help but feel stupid for not realizing that they are the things I truly hate. I don't hate humanity. I hate corruption.

"I'm heading out west," I said and started trudging forward.

"Don't forget about the antidote Ms. P and Slender made!" Hoodie called out to me as I got further and further away. "I won't," I yelled back and left the two behind. I stopped once I turned a building corner and looked down at the lightweight drop leg pouch strapped around my thigh. This bag is full of dozens of syringes, all filled with the same cerulean colored chemical made to help me. Slenderman and Ms. P made these to counterattack corruption. If I ever get bit (which I probably, definitely, certainly will) I just have to stick one of these little bastards into my veins and I'll be fine. They work, so long as I inject the chemical right after infection. If I wait more than two hours to have my dose then it won't work and I'm as good as dead. Just the thought of injecting myself with one of these is terrifying because I know it'll be because I got brutally attacked by a Corrupted and that I'm too much of a klutz to NOT get infected that I'll run out quicker than I should.

"Please last," I mumbled and patted the pouch with a shuddering hand. I started running off again, looking for anymore Corrupted in need of a blade jammed into their rotten hearts. Everything around me felt so...morbid and...devoid of any good. I just ignored my surroundings and kept an eye out for Corrupted. I kept hearing screams and monstrous growls in the far distance. Nothing came to pop out at me and attack. At least not yet...

I'm paranoid as fuck. Now I know how it feels to be a victim. Why did this have to happen? Why can't Zalgo play a game of Mario Kart, lose epically and then go back to his stupid realm. That would be sooooo much better than the fucking apocalypse happening. I did NOT sign up for this. But I have to help. What good would I be if I just hid like a wuss? I'm not like that. But god damn I am freaking out about all of this.

As I turned another corner I saw something quickly run across my vision. I froze and listened intently. All I heard was my heart beat, thumping against my chest like it wanted to break free and high tail it out of this mess. I steadied my breathing so I would have a better time calming down and tried to detect whatever was there. My hands shook as I reach for my knife. Before I could even graze my fingers against the hilt, a grotesque humanoid Corrupted jumped at me from behind some debris. We tumbled around for a bit until we stopped. The Corrupted was on me, screeching a high pitched howl in my face. I grit my teeth and tried reaching for my knife while holding it away from me.