Chapter 10

*HEY DERE GUYS :3 WHAT BOOTIFUL EYES YOU HAVE 0-0 OKAI IMMA STAHP BEING WEIRD AND LET YOU ENJOY THIS CHAP. DAS SOUND GOOD? YAH? OKAI LATERS!!!*

Chapter 10

I paced around in the hospital hall, anxious for the doctor to give me good news...or bad news. I kept biting my nail until I came to the nub then I switched to another finger. I nearly panicked like three times out here. Why won't the damn doctor hurry up? My mother works here and as soon as she heard that I was here she was worried. Lucky for her I wasn't the one injured. Paramedics managed to get to the house on time to revive Ian. He's not dead anymore, but I hope his injury isnt so bad. My mom will be his nurse from now on until his recovery, if he ever does recover from this. I kept pacing until I heard a door open. I looked over and Ian's room was open. A woman with her hair in a bun and glasses on came up to me and gave me a small smile. I couldn't return the favor so I did nothing. She pursed her lips and said, "Are you Elizabeth Umber?" I nodded and she said, "Well, Elizabeth...your friend is fine and alive for that matter." I took a sigh of relief and put a hand to my chest. "But," the doctor said, "his condition is critical. He'll be in the hospital for a while."

"How long will 'a while' be," I asked with a hint of concern. She sighs and says, "I'm not entirely sure. All we know is he won't be ready to leave any time soon." I nodded and looked at the wall next to us. I can't get the image out of my head, the sight of his injury. It was disturbing. More disturbing than the sight of that Rotweiller's body being torn up by Smile. Who could have possibly done that to Ian? Or what? I have to think everything through now that I know there are things out there. I look at the doctor and ask, "What's the deal with his injury?" She shifted in her spot as if this would be uncomfortable to talk about for her. If something like that makes a doctor uneasy then it isn't good. She takes a deep breath and says, "Well, he'll be undergoing some surgery, for sure. And he might have to get a transplant."

"Transplant?" I said, the thought nearly choking me. She nodded and I asked, "Why?!"

"Well," she said, "the wound seems as if the attacker was specifically going for his organs. This guy might have been a professional considering how precise the cutting was. But Ian's organs aren't out of place, they're right where they're supposed to be. Unfortunately one of his kidneys was right in the line of the wound. It was damaged somehow and that is why he will be needing a transplant. The damage is too much so he won't be able to keep it. So as soon as we find a donner we'll immediately put him through surgery. His wound will be able to get stitched up so when everything is done he'll be fine. He'll be back on his feet after that." I didn't like the idea of him going through surgery but if it means he'll be okay then I'll have to deal with it. And the thought of the attacker actually intending on gutting him sickens me. I shiver slightly and the doctor puts a gentle hand on my shoulder. That made me feel better and I said, "Can I see him now?" She gave me a sad look and shook her head. "Sorry, Elizabeth," she said, "but he's resting right now and other doctors are working on him. But maybe tomorrow. I think he'll be ready to see by noon."

"Good," I muttered, "I can come back right after school. Thank you, ma'am." She smiled and said, "You're very welcome. Don't fret. He's in good hands here and we'll be sure to bring him back to health." I nod and she gives me one last smile and walks back into Ian's room. I held myself and shivered in the hall. At least he'll be all right. I'm going to miss him while he's gone. I actually want that knuckle head to mess with me right now. I need a bit of cheering up. And I'd really like to see him happy right now. He needs it.

...

My dad had come to pick me up at the hospital and he took me home. The drive was silent and by the strained look on his face he was containing his worry. I ignored everything during the drive. I blocked out the world as my mind was focused on Ian. I shouldn't worry about him. Like the doctor said, he's in good hands. I trust them to help him. Hopefully when they get a new kidney for him he makes it through the surgery. I close my eyes for a few minutes and eventually I feel the car stop and I knew we were home. Police and paramedics are gone. All that's left is a yellow CAUTION tape around the front yard. We walk through and get inside the house. My dad nearly jumped out of his skin as he saw the blood covered kitchen floor. I knew we'd both have to clean it up. I looked around the house. Everything was intact. Nothing stolen nor broken. There was a trail of blood along the stairs from where I was carrying Ian down here. I avoided the blood and made my way upstairs. The trail came to my room and I walked in. On my bedroom floor was a wide pool of dark red blood. It was practically everywhere and also unavoidable. I looked at my window, or at least what's left of it. The glass breaking sound I heard before Ian was attacked was probably the attacker breaking the window. Now I could feel cold air coming in. There was glass everywhere on the floor. I'll have to clean this up too.