Chapter 88

The car horn beeped outside. "Kids are you ready? Uncle Mark and Auntie Rina are here" I shouted as I ran to open the door, gesturing to them that I'd just be a few minutes. They unclipped their seatbelts and got out of the car.

"How are you doing? Mark said as he hugged me sympathetically. I nodded.

"Are the kids ready?" Rina asked as she passed me and went into the house.

"I think so" I said to her, she smiled and nodded as she went in.

Mark put his arm around me as he guided me back into the house. Rina finished getting the kids ready and before long we were ready to leave.

"Can we stop at the florist on the way?" I asked as we left the house.

"Of course" Rina said as we all climbed into the car.

As we stopped at the florist, I got out with the kids. Hanging back to allow them to choose the flowers for their Mum.

"What was Mum's favourite flowers?" Adam asked as he turned to me.

"Lilies and roses" I said without hesitation, a smile spreading across my face as I thought about all the times I've bought her flowers in the past.

"I don't like lilies" Alleyshia sighed.

"That's ok Leish, we can just get roses" Jessica said as she went over to the red roses.

"How many can we get Daddy?" Keira asked as she turned to me.

"As many as you want" I said with a smile as the florist helped them to make up a huge bouquet of red roses.

"I think that's probably enough now" the florist laughed as she struggled to hold the stems of the flowers, she turned to me for permission to wrap the collection into a bouquet.

"That's fine" I nodded, "but can I just add one more in?" I couldn't resist it, I lifted one white rose and pushed it into the middle of the bouquet. "Right, let's choose a card" I said to the kids as I led them to the counter and they started flicking through the available cards.

Keira chose a lovely 'Happy Birthday' card and Jessica wrote a birthday message before they all signed their names and it was placed in the bouquet. I paid the florist and we left, the kids all looking quite pleased with themselves.

We got back in the car and I strapped the kids in. "Did you leave any flowers in there?" Mark joked as he looked at the size of the bouquet. "That's your touch" he said to me as he spotted the white rose. I nodded, feeling slightly embarrassed.

As Rina parked up the car, I felt a nervousness in my stomach, I almost didn't want to get out of the car, but as I looked at the kids I realised that I had to do this for them if nothing else. I felt tears welling in my eyes again but quickly sniffed them away realising that now was a time to be strong, I can always cry later.

Rina walked ahead with the kids while Mark hung back. "Are you really OK?" he asked with concern.

"I just want her back Mark" I said to him, finally letting my guard down.

"I know" he said "Are you ready to do this?" I nodded as we started to walk down the street.

Just as I reached the wrought iron gates I looked up and saw Sophie and Glen walking towards us with Kay. Glen was pushing the pram, I smiled, fatherhood really suits him.

"Come on, they'll catch us up" Mark said as we walked through the gates and headed up the long winding path.

Its not a place I've come to that often, but the familiar knotting in my stomach was there, my pace slowed as we approached.

"I can't do this" I said to Mark, stopping in my tracks.

"You have to do this Danny" he said sternly, "Your kids want to see their Mum and I know you don't want to stop that from happening"

I took a deep breath and continued to walk until we caught up with Rina and the kids.

"Go on, we'll give you a minute, just you and the kids" she said to me with a smile "We'll come up when Glen and Sophie get here"

I nodded taking Keira and Alleyshia by the hand, "Come on then, let's go and see Mum" I said as we started walking.