Chapter 36

I twiddled the keys in the lock until the door finally swung open.  "Just me" I called out as I walked in.

"I can see that" he said with a giggle as he stood at the stove cooking.

"Sorry" I said as I walked over to him, "I just can't break that habit"

"Well this place, I'm guessing, isn't quite as big as your house.  I can see who's coming in." Liam laughed.  "How has today been?" he asked as he flicked the switch on the kettle to turn it on.

"It's been OK I guess." I said, not really wanting to talk about today. "Have you got anything stronger?" I said as I switched the kettle off and opened the fridge.

I found half a bottle of wine that I had opened last night and poured a glass.

"That bad?" Liam asked.

I shook my head before taking a sip from the glass. "You want one?" I asked.

"Best not before I go to work" Liam said as he started to plate up the dinner he had cooked.

We had started to spend quite a bit of time together over the last couple of days.  I found it comforting to have him around and he said that he enjoyed cooking for more than just him so we had started to eat dinner together.  I was starting to feel more at home in his flat and no longer felt like an intruder when I came here to shower.  We were able to talk freely and without uncomfortable silences and I was really enjoying having time with Liam to just feel 'normal' again.

As I started to clear the plates, Liam suggested "Why don't you take a night off?  Grab a shower, get some proper sleep in a bed, have some time to yourself.  You're welcome to stay here if you'd rather not leave the hospital but I'll be over there tonight anyway and I will check on Adam and let you know if you need to be there."

My initial reaction was to refuse, I needed to be with Adam.  But the more Liam reasoned with me, the more I came around to the idea.  I felt better knowing that Liam would be in the hospital tonight and even though he is at work he told me that he would do extra checks on Adam to make sure he was OK and if I was needed, I can be in Adams room in about a minute.

"Are you sure you wouldn't mind though?" I asked.

"Why would I mind?" Liam asked, almost with a tone of offence that I thought he would.

I shook my head, wondering if it wasn't a bit weird me staying the night here, I mean it's not like I'm staying with him, but I'd still be sleeping in his bed.

An uncomfortable silence took over, as we finished washing up, I glanced at the clock.  Liam's eyes followed mine.  "Shit is that the time." He said, checking his watch for verification. "I need to go, it was lovely having dinner with you tonight." He said as he grabbed his coat and picked up his pager.

"Have a good shift" I said as he was leaving, he turned at the door. "Have a good rest." He said with a smile and a wink.  I laughed as the door closed, he doesn't give up on his belief that he knows what's best for me.

I went through to the bathroom and got into the shower, allowing the warm water to run over my body.  I felt refreshed afterwards and I sat down on the edge of the bed and blow dried my hair.

I decided to take the opportunity to face time Jessica, I was really missing the girls and was worried about how they would be feeling.  There was really no need to worry, Jessica said that they were missing me and said they couldn't wait to come home but she also told me about what they had been up to and I realised how lucky I was that my family were filling their days with fun to allow me to be with Adam.

"Where are you anyway Mum?" Jessica suddenly asked.

"I'm at the hospital, you know that." I replied with confusion.

"Just it looks like you're in a hotel, that's all.  Is Dad with you?".  My heart sank, and I panicked a little as to what I should say.

"No honey, Dad's gone home for a while but he said to tell you he loves you." I replied, knowing that Danny would've told her he loved her if he was here so it wasn't a total lie.

"Tell him I love him too, and I love you as well Mum" she said as I felt tears pricking my eyes.

"I will do honey, and I love you more."

"Get some rest Mum, you look tired." She told me, almost as if she was the parent.

"I will honey, goodnight" I replied as I ended the call.

As I started to get dressed to go back over to the hospital, I heard a text message coming through on my phone.  I picked it up and saw it was from Liam:

I've just checked on Adam and he's doing great.  Please get some sleep before you come back. X

I stared at the text for ages before finally curling up on the bed and allowing sleep to take over.