Chapter Seventeen

*Chapter Seventeen*

*Not Edited*

*Victoria P.O.V.*

We were sitting down to some delicious smelling lasagna, another cooling on the stove. Jacob gleefully sorted out the garlic bread, determined "Daddy, won't hog them all." I was cutting up Alyssa's plate. Michael was starting to look human again, his nose twitching at the bounty before him. I had just set her plate in the freezer to flash cool a bit, when my phone went off.

Typical. Why does it ring everytime you sit down to eat? Annoyed by the distraction from the cheesy goodness, I grabbed it from the counter. Looking down, praying it was some random number, that way I could let them have it, I stopped. It was Damon. Okay, I might go easy on him, or not. Hot guys come and go, but lasagna love was forever.

"Hello!" I said curtly, like I said, lasagna love. I heard Damon breathe out in relief.

"Victoria....are you okay?" I dropped my food obsession for a moment. He had said my name like it was a prayer, or a benediction. Plus, his voice was tense with worry.

"Of course. We were just sitting down to supper. What's wrong?" I waited for an answer, but didn't get one. If I didn't hear him breathing on the other side I would have sworn he had hung up.

"I don't want to talk about this on the phone. I'll be there in a minute." He paused for a moment. "Oh, and put some coffe on, Michael's gonna need it." I stared down at my phone for a second in shock at his bláse command. For it was a command. There wasn't even a hint of please or thank you there.

All that was forgotten when I smelled them out there. Maybe twenty of them. They smelled vaguely familiar, but I wasn't taking any chances. I ran outside, using the back door, ignoring Michael's questions. As whoever they were got closer, I could smell someone who I knew, Jack. He seemed ahead of them by a few and drawing the space out with every stride. He must have been flying.

Jack came to a crashing halt in front of me.

"Where is she?" Jack growled out. I gave him quizzical eyes. Who was 'she'? I didn't know any other females, and the only female I did know was me. Or Alyssa.

"Alyssa? She's inside about to eat her dinner." Jack didn't give me a chance to ask him what the hell was going on, because ran inside. I heard my phone go off again, so I ran inside after him, snatching my phone back up.

"Hello?" I said a bit breathless from my run.

"Victoria, I'm about to pull in, but I need to tell you to expect some pack warriors, they should be coming from the treeline. " he rushed out. I breathed my tension and fear out. Seeing Jack had made me hope the group were friendlies, now I knew they were.

"Well, thanks for scaring twenty years off my life! They're practically here!" I yelled out. Irritated. I was getting very irritated. I heard whisper a sorry before I heard him pull into the drive. I haung up and went in to the kitchen. Going into the freezer, just made me more irritated. Alyssa's poor dinner was too cold to eat. Well, considering, my dinner was now cool, I decided to feed her from my plate.

Michael and Jacob were acting like human vaccuums and Alyssa was happily gumming a piece of garlic bread. Jack, upon seeing Alyssa was safe and well stood off in a corner.

"Well, you might as well make yourself at home Jack and have something to eat." I grumbled, giving a bite of lasagna to Alyssa. Jack smiled brightly before heaping a plate full and sitting down with them. The front door burst open as Damon marched in. I don't know what he expected to find, but comfy domesticity probably wasn't it. He stood there, searching the kitchen for danger or whatever, then looking at us again. Nnothing to see here, just a family and a werewolf sitting down for dinner.