love Story part 3 👑

It was the river Hooghly, and we were standing at its bay. Amardeep’s and MP’s fear turned into delight.
‘This is the Launch Ghat and, right now, we are in Howrah. This is the point from where the ferry takes you to the other side: Kolkata city,’ Happy announced, pointing across the river.

In our excitement, we jumped onto the wooden harbor-like structure, from the channel. Surrounding
this harbor on three sides was the river in its perfect velocity. It was a beautiful night, with the moon
overhead and the stars shining bright.
And beneath this sky, the four of us!
We sat down beside one of the giant anchors in a corner of the harbor.

The river raced against the cool breeze to meet the Bay of Bengal. In the silence, the sound of water hitting the harbor was crystal clear. On the other side of the river was Kolkata. The tall buildings and the chain of tiny, yellow lights reminded me of the New York skyline.

But this was much better, just because I was with my friends now. With our arms wide open, we breathed deep and long, inhaling the fresh, chill air, still intoxicated by the beauty of this place. That was when Happy spoke up.

‘So?’ he asked, looking at Amardeep.
‘What?’ Amardeep asked in return, not understanding Happy’s ‘So.’
‘So, how is this place, dammit?’
‘Oh! This place? I cannot think of a better place than this. This is heaven.’

And then, again, a cool breeze blew, embracing us. We lay down on the harbor.
That was when the discussion started.

A serious discussion; a discussion that changed my life. It started with another ‘So’.
‘So?’ Amardeep asked this time, looking at Happy.
‘What?’ Happy asked, raising his chin.

‘What’s the next important thing?’ Amardeep asked.
‘You mean dinner?’ MP jumped in.

‘No, I mean the next important thing in life. Schooling—done. Engineering—done. Getting good job—done. Going abroad—done. Bank balance—in progress. What’s the next milestone?’

‘Ah! I know what you’re talking about,’ Happy nodded. ‘Ask him,’ he said, pointing his already
raised chin towards me.
Everyone looked at me.

‘I don’t know what’s going on in your life and family, but my mom and dad are going crazy.
They’re after me like you wouldn’t believe. Don’t I make a good bachelor?’
I said.

‘The story is the same everywhere. We poor bachelors,’ MP said trying to be funny.

‘I am serious, MP,’ Amardeep said.
‘So, have you or your family fixed something?’ I asked him.
‘No. My story is just like yours. But the fact is that, one day, we’ll have to settle down with a life-partner. How long can we ignore our parents’ questions? They too have expectations, wishes and dreams for us.’

‘I know what you mean Amardeep. But are you really ready to spend your whole life with someone?

I mean, in our four years at the hostel, there were so many times when we had to adjust with each other … This one will be for a lifetime,’ Happy said.
‘But, sooner or later, we have to do this, right?’ Amardeep asked.
‘What if we just carry on the way we are?’ MP said.

Updated soon please vote