Chapter Twenty-Five.

Chapter Twenty-Five. 

            I’ve been in the hospital all night long. I’ve kept my promise of never leaving his side and even when the nurse came in and told me she thought it’d be best if I went home and got some rest I refused. All I wanted to do was hold onto him and keep him safe. Nothing else mattered except that.

            Justin hasn’t woken up yet but it’s not like he was unconscious or anything. The nurse told me he had some pain medication given to him when he got here and that he’d wake up soon. The only thing I’m thankful for is that his dad finally went home. I don’t understand why he was here in the first place when he was the one that did this to him. What did he care? He basically kicked the crap out of his own son and then stayed at the hospital to watch him try to recover? I guess it was just an act so it didn’t make it seem like he didn’t care.

--------

             Sweetie, wake up.

            Bolting awake into the darkness of the hospital room, I picked my head up that was rested on Justin’s arm and looked up to see his mom staring down at me. She was in her hospital uniform so I’m guessing this was where she worked.

            “O-Oh, I’m sorry.” I stuttered. “I fell asleep.”

            “Don’t worry about it. I’m sure he’d like you here.”

            I watched her pick up the chair his dad was sitting in earlier and bring it over to his bedside. I wonder if she knows about him and his dad and the abuse. Maybe she actually thinks he got into a car accident. I don’t know.

            The silence created an unwelcoming silence but I wasn’t going to leave him. It was probably past dinner but I know Brandon would come up with an excuse to my parents and for that I was thankful.

            “My son cares a lot about you.” She whispered quietly. “I’ve never seen someone mean so much to him.”
            I felt like crying as soon as I heard her because what she’s saying to me is everything I’ve wanted to hear. We were young and in love but that doesn’t mean what we have isn’t real and won’t last forever. I keep trying to tell myself that this is for the long run but I just hope he feels the same.

            “Well your son means the entire world to me. He’s a really special person Mrs. Bieber.”

            “I can see that.” She glanced over to him and shook her head in disbelief. “I know you know Alyssa.”

            The tears welled up into her eyes and for a moment I felt like hugging her but I didn’t exactly know her that well and I still don’t know if she’s holding that grudge of her son’s hands down my pants. God, that was awkward.

            “Yeah.” I said. “I do know. “How long have you known?”
            “Look Alyssa, this is more complicated than you think, okay? It’s not that I like seeing this happen but you don’t know how intimidating he can be. He doesn’t just hit him. He hits me too. If I were to tell the cops, even if I did have proof, Justin might lie out of fear. Maybe I would too. I’m petrified and the reason I asked you to leave the first day I met you was because I didn’t think it was a good idea for you to be there. His dad comes home drunk almost every night and when he does it’s not pretty. I didn’t want my son to lose the one good thing he’s ever gotten.”
            “I appreciate you wanting me around Mrs. Bieber and if I can be honest, I’m not trying to intrude on your personal business. I don’t want you to think I’m trying to come into your family and fix the things you couldn’t, because I’m not. All I’m doing is becoming a barrier in-between your son and your husband. He’s not going to lay a finger on him as long as I’m around.”