Chapter Forty Three.

Chapter Forty Three.

            "I don't understand why you need fourteen apples Justin. Who the hell needs fourteen apples?"

            Looking over our grocery cart, I tied the stupid plastic green tie around the plastic bag and sat the apples carefully in the front of the basket so they wouldn't bruise. We had decided to get food for the apartment that was officially ours now but it still didn't seem real. Being alone with her in New York seemed way too good to be true and for a second it's just crazy to think about it. Building our future, growing old together. This is the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with and I met her when she tried to grab a chicken wing. It's kind of humorous, really.

            "Because I like them." I finally replied.

            "And they're expensive. We're trying to save money. Remember?"

            She opened up the plastic bag again and removed seven of them, stacking them on top of the rest in a perfect pyramid. I would say that I got upset but I'm not upset in the least bit just because it was like we were a married couple.

            "I could get used to this." I smiled, causing her to blush.

            After that, we went up towards the registers to check out.

   ———-

         I wanted our first night alone in our apartment together to be special. So, when I told her I forgot butter, she offered to go back to the store and I let her so I could make the place feel a little more like home. Earlier today, when she was putting the bags in the cart, I lied and said we forgot one inside so I could buy a pair of curtains I saw in the store. They were a heavy and thick material that was so white it was almost like I was afraid to touch them.

            It fit in with the apartment though. The white stood out against the blood colored walls and as soon as they were put up, it was like our tiny little apartment in New York was becoming a reality. The candles were set up around the house, illuminating the dark room with a romantic glow.

            As I waited for her to come back I went into our bedroom to put the huge blanket we purchased earlier on top of it. We didn't have enough for a comforter so that was the most we could do. When that was done, I went into the bathroom and looked over myself in the mirror to make sure I looked okay.

            I don't know how it's possible for a girl to change your opinion on everything but she honestly did. Before her, the girls I slept with weren't virgins. I know that sounds cliché but that's what made it different. With Lyss, she was so innocent and breakable it's just like I never wanted to hurt her. Ever. Hurting her is like hurting myself and even now, as I'm staring at myself in the mirror, I was getting all nervous because I didn't know if she'd like it or not. I just wanted our first night alone together to be special, I don't know. We haven't had sex much so maybe that's the reason. I mean, we've had sex less than twenty times and for being as long together as we have that's shocking. For me at least.

            "Justin?"

            Her voice echoed throughout the small apartment so I quickly exited the bathroom and found her in shock by the door, keys in hand with a small smile on her face that made her look so beautiful. The way the candles created a warm glow to her cheeks made her seem like she was a complete dream.