Chapter Twenty-Two.

Chapter Twenty Two.

             After a half hour of walking the familiar path to Kylie’s house I’ve had some time to think about everything and it just made me even more positive that I needed to end things with Justin.

            Brandon’s speech to me kept replaying throughout my head and he was right about everything. What did I think was going to happen? Did I actually think my parents would let us be together? If they ever found out they would literally kill me and here I am in a fantasy world of mine acting as if we’ll get married and have kids one day. I am utterly insane.

            “Alyssa!” Kylie’s mom, Anne, greeted me at the door with a warm smile and opened the door wider for me to come in. “What are you doing here?”
            “I came to see Kylie.” I replied and tried to fake a smile back to her. “Is she upstairs?”

            “Of course. Is something wrong sweetie?”
            She gently rubbed my back with her hand as she waited for me to answer but I couldn’t think of one to tell her. My eyes were beyond puffy from the amount of crying I had done on the way here but I did this to myself and Brandon was right. For once I needed to stop caring about myself and focus on the people that I hurt due to my careless choices.

            “Yeah, I’m fine.” I said shakily. “I’m just going to go talk to her if that’s okay.”

            Brushing past her before I heard a response, I thudded up the steps and stood outside of her door for a second to calm myself down and collect my words together. I don’t know how I’m going to say this or how I’m going to try and somehow make her not hate me but I just need to get it over with. Now’s better than never.

            “Kylie?”

            I knocked softly on her door and waited to hear a response but instead the door opened and revealed Kylie, her eyes looking so much worse than mine from the endless crying she must have had to endure. It just made me feel that much worse for the things I had done.

            “I-I guess you’ve heard.” She sobbed.

            “Yes Kylie but I’ve come here to fix things between you guys. I have a lot to explain so can you let me in?”

            “What do you mean fix things?”

            Opening the door for me to come in, I quickly walked inside and sat down on her floral bedspread, my fingers carefully twisting the bracelet that was surrounding my wrist to try and somehow make this less awkward.

            “Kylie when I said I didn’t want the two of you together and I thought it was ruining our friendship I was lying. You dating my brother doesn’t bother me. I mean it used to, but once I saw how happy the two of you were together I accepted it.”

            “So why did you say that?” She spat. “Why would you say that Alyssa? You’re telling me I broke up with him for nothing?”
            I knew she would be mad at me and I knew she would get like this but hopefully once she heard my story she would hate me a little less. I decided also on the way here that I was going to tell her everything. It doesn’t matter if she found out now because we wouldn’t be a couple anymore. She can’t leak a secret that doesn’t exist.

            “Because I was dating Justin.” I finally admitted. “We were dating and I know I should have told you but let’s both be honest, you can’t keep a secret to save your life. It was wrong of me and I should have told you the truth but I was selfish and only thought of myself so I came up with that lie but I never knew you would break up with my brother Kylie. I never wanted to see the two of you hurt so I am truly sorry.”