Chapter Twenty-Six.

Chapter Twenty-Six. 

             Justin’s being released from the hospital today and over these past couple of days I’ve tried to stay all night with him but he wouldn’t let me. He told me I needed my sleep and that I’d be just fine but all I did when I got home was go right upstairs and sleep and at eight in the morning I’d be right back in the hospital even though he’d still be sleeping. I just felt better when I was here.

             My parents didn’t seem to ask questions when I came home every night. They asked me why I was spending so much time at Kylie’s but I just told them we haven’t hung out in awhile, which wasn’t exactly a lie. We hardly talk to each other now as it is.

            “Babe it’s okay, I got it.” Justin laughed and stepped out of the car as I tried to help him out. He was in a walking cast but he had crutches until he got used to walking in it. I just didn’t know what to do right now. I was trying my best to help him but maybe I just needed to lie off.

            “Sorry.” I smirked, leaning over to kiss his cheek.

            His mom was trying to gather everything from the car that had accumulated over the course of the past couple of days so as Justin clumsily used his crutches to head over towards the door I stayed behind him just in case he lost his balance.

            “How are you doing son?”

            Narrowing my eyes in his father’s direction who was standing by the front door, I didn’t say a word when Justin gave him a small smile. It’s so sad how his dad beat the shit out of him but Justin was so scared to stand up for himself that he could still plaster a smile on his face even when inside I know his heart was breaking.

            “I’m good.” He replied. “I’m gonna go get everything settled upstairs if that’s okay.”

            “I’ll help you.” I immediately chimed in.

            I was almost past his dad until I felt him gently tug on my elbow so I would turn around to face him. His eyes were cold and dark, trying everything he could to intimidate me but he didn’t at all. I wasn’t scared of him.

            “It’s nice to see you again Alyssa.” He smiled a bone-chilling grin and looked back at Justin. “You two have fun now.”

            What I wanted to do was punch him like I have many times before but I held my anger back and just completely ignored him when his mom finally came through the front door and paused, almost if she knew we just had an awkward encounter. His dad walked away and that’s when I started to follow Justin into his room, me staying behind him as he slowly made his way up the staircase.

            I can’t picture him being thrown down these. They were wooden and steep, the edges being so defined on each one I cringed when I thought about a body making contact with them. I can only imagine how much pain he must have been in.

            “I’m sorry.” He breathed heavily, moving up another step. “I’m trying.”

            “Baby it’s okay.” I soothed. “Take your time.”       

            “Can we make out when we get in my room?”

            He paused and turned his head so he was looking at me, a cheesy grin plastered on his face. How could I possibly say no to that?

            “Hm…” I giggled, placing a finger on my chin. “Possibly.”

            When he finally reached the top step I walked past him so I could open up the door for him and saw his body collapse onto his bed, completely tired and out of breath. His face was still slightly puffed up but for the most part he looked back to normal. The only thing that really stood out was the partial black eye and the cut on his face. I don’t even want to ask how that happened.