Chapter Twelve.

Chapter Twelve. 

            The Sunday morning after the Winter Ball wasn’t any different than other Sunday mornings in the Straton household. My mom still made an over the top fiesta for breakfast and my dad still sat in the same spot at the dining room table reading the newspaper along with the Sunday comics.

             I guess maybe the only thing that made this Sunday different than the rest was the fact that my boyfriend I guess you could say was down here eating with us and the only person that knew about it was me.

            Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, you name it, was plastered on my plate as I sat directly across from Justin at the dining room table. I was trying everything I could to avoid his stare because I knew that if I looked at him I would smile. As awkward as last night was to me, it didn’t seem to affect him because here he sat, ever so often sending me a small smile when everyone wasn’t looking.

            “I don’t get why Coach Cooper wants to have practice on a Sunday night.” Brandon spat to my dad in annoyance. “We have every day of the week to have practice but just because we weren’t playing at our best on Friday he decides to have practice on god’s day? That’s messed up.”

            “You act like we go to church.” I laughed at him, only to see his face look towards me with nothing but hatred spread on his face. “Sorry but Sunday is like a Saturday to us and you know that so what’s the big deal?”

            “The big deal is I wanted to enjoy my weekend. I’m still tired from yesterday.”

            Kylie then entered the room wearing a t-shirt and plaid pajama pants, her hair looking a mess from yesterday and her eye makeup was spread across her face. She looked like a walking zombie; it was so hard for me not to laugh.

            “Morning beautiful.” Brandon opened his arms out for her to sit on his lap and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

            Why am I getting sad right now? Despite her appearance he still called her beautiful and I should be happy but I’m not. Instead I’m just wishing how badly Justin could do that to me but that’s not possible because of my parents sitting right here. It’s just funny how they’d let Brandon date one of my friends but me not date one of his friends. I suppose it’s because he’s nineteen with tattoos but my mom seemed to like him enough to stand up for him the other day. My dad on the other hand, not so much.

            “Morning.” She giggled and grabbed a piece of bacon off his plate. “Sorry, I didn’t realize I slept in so late.”

            “Well you didn’t miss anything Kylie.” My dad chimed in. “Brandon was just complaining about Football like he always does.”

            “Because it’s on Sunday! Who does that?”
            “Coach Coop.” Justin chuckled and ate another piece of pancake. “It’ll be fine bro. We’ll go, get an intense workout in, and then go to school tomorrow. It’s just practice.”

            “Easy for you to say.” He shot back. “Coach Coop praises you. He’s always bragging about what a good player you are to the rest of us and it’s your first damn year. I don’t get it.”

            “What can I say…” He put his hands up and sent him a dazzling white smile. “Another one of my talents?”

            The whole table, including me, rolled our eyes at him and went back to eating. He was probably the cockiest jerk I’ve ever met but he was mine and I wouldn’t have it any other way. He acts like he’s the king of everything living on this earth right now in front of everyone else but when it’s just him and I alone it’s like he’s a whole different person. I couldn’t explain it but it’s like every wall came down when he was with me and the pretend to be football addict turned into the poetic and caring writer.