Phase 13, part 2

Isaiah's face is as impenetrable as always

Isaiah's face is as impenetrable as always. What does he think about when he looks at me? The last words I told him before I left?

I hate you...

In that case, we're in the same situation.

I wish I could say the same...

Why can't the things stay the way they were before? When Isaiah turned his back on me, it was like someone demolished one of the pillars holding my life together. New pillars have been built, but the debris of the old one is still there, blocking my path.

Maybe it would be easier if he fought with his mask. But he doesn't. Only a black skull cap covers his head with a dark butch cut. I can see his face disfigured by a large pigment scar and slightly deformed lips. His dark eyes pierce me. I try to find any trace of emotions within them, but I can't find any, it's like I'm just another opponent he has to eliminate on his way to the top.

It's his body language which tells me more about his current state of mind. His organic hand is clenched firmly into a fist, his breathing is accelerated, his posture slightly hunched up. It's probably because his anger problems. God, I wish I had a cure for them.

Our arena looks like a destroyed, dystopian city with graffiti-sprayed walls, crumbling buildings and leafless trees. It resembles the Dead Zone way too much. Maybe if we clash here, he will remember all we've been through. But it's only a naive wish.

However, no matter what our relationship was, I'm determined to win.

Arena configuration complete. INF system active. Champions on their spots. Ten seconds for preparation remaining.

Get ready. Begin.

To escape Isaiah, I jump up on a roof of one of the buildings. I have to watch out since there are several caved-in holes, but it's nothing for my balance.

Isaiah rushes forward, his eyes glowing with a beserker rage again. He just uses his artificial fist to smash one of the walls, making the whole structure crumble. Before it does, I jump into safety. One Isaiah's punch is enough to demolish the whole small building. They are probably made like that intentionally, but still, his power is scary. This will be a tough fight.

I run through the "street" between a collapsed wall and a bigger building and stop under a signpost with disturbingly empty signs. This may be my first chance to get a point. Isaiah already rushes towards me, driven by the power of anger. Anger he can only vent in the arena.

That's why he makes no difference between enemies and past allies.

However, his uncompromising anger also makes him vulnerable. As he approaches me, I jump up and grab one of the signs like a trapeze. Then I swing forward and both of my feet connect with Isaiah's face. He just gasps in surprise and makes one step back. Nothing more.

O__|___ | Tempest | Maverick | ___|___

Isaiah raises his hand to demolish the signpost. I swing once again; this time, I do a full rotation and my feet land on the top of the sign which is only about ten centimeters wide. However, that's no problem for me. I run on the sign's top towards the neighbouring building and jump on its roof.