Phase 4: Trial by Fire, part 1

"During the Neoclash fights, the Champions are prohibited from wearing any kind of armor unless it's directly implemented into their bodies or artificial limbs. The hardest allowed material for Champion's clothing is hard leather."

Official Neoclash Rulebook

I spent many weeks training both by myself and with the Champions in the community

I spent many weeks training both by myself and with the Champions in the community. When Ryan bought me, it was still cold outside. Now, the summer is starting to exhibit its powers, even though it's not as hot and gruelling as it was in the Dead Zone.

The flowers in my garden finally started to bloom and I have my own beautiful flower bed. They grow stronger, just like me. They motivate me as I work out among them. But they also serve me for relax. When I tire myself, I just sit among them and admire their beauty. Different shapes, different colors.

Just like the Champions.

I realize there are actually many similarities between Champions and flowers. They are all different, but each one is beautiful in their own way. They want to grow, to thrive. But they require care and attention. Their beauty is well deserved. And so is ours.

I used to run my obstacle course only once. Later, I managed to run it two times. And now, it's a minimum three times plus I added some new elements. For example a rope stretched between two trees and a bag filled with sand hanging from a thick, durable branch. One helps me with my balance training, the other serves me to hone my fighting skills.

Both Odin and Scarla notice my improvements and they're not afraid to let me know.

Scarla is a strict teacher. She didn't give up her stick yet, but she smacks me less and less. After my ability to stand on the rope is acceptable for her, she makes me walk on it. To my surprise, it's easier than I expected. As she said, balance became my sixth sense. I have to use my arms to keep myself up less and less. I'm still not even close to Scarla's mastery, but I'm already able to walk the rope rather quickly.

Surprisingly, Scarla's balance training proves to be useful in the second part of my training. First, both Odin and Scarla try to teach me a new move, usually some kind of kick, which is logical considering where most of my power lies. Scarla's training helps me to use my other leg as a pivot more efficiently and also helps me land smoothly when I try to perform jumping kicks.

First, I try the move out on Odin's hand which serves me as a boxing bag. Then, I try to implement it during my fights with training dummy. Thanks to my mentors, I manage to reach a satisfying B-rank and my highscore so far is 177. However, they both claim entering a second-league tournamment is useless when my score is lower than 300. So I have to keep trying.

I practice my new moves on the boxing bag I made at home. I try to execute them faster, stronger, more technically perfect. From time to time, I also jump aside, duck or cross my arms in a blocking move, like I would if I had a real enemy in front of me. I quietly recite names of the moves I make: