Phase 7, part 3

The next day, I have to go through two more fights I manage to win

The next day, I have to go through two more fights I manage to win. Good news: Sotiris, or Castor, wins his battles, too. Bad news: so does Maverick.

I have my place in top sixteen. The royals I won now heavily exceed the expenses, causing Ryan to be a little less grumpy than usual. I also often look at Katerina sitting nearby. She's wearing the same outfit as last night. She seems calm, but when Castor fights, she leans forward with clenched fists and lips.

She closes her eyes every time Castor's opponent scores a point, like it was her who took the hit. I don't blame her. Every point takes her further away from her sister's treatment.

Ryan notices my interest. "What's up with that girl?" he asks.

I decide to tell the truth I'd have to tell sooner or later. "She's a friend," I reply and tell Ryan about the night meeting. As I expected, Ryan's cold ass soul doesn't seem to be touched at all.

"And? So what?" he says. "She has an ill sister. Really touching, but why should we care? Castor is just another opponent you have to defeat. Is that clear?"

"How can you be so cold?" I frown at him.

Ryan shrugs. "Neoclash is business, girl. There's no space for feelings or friendship. All personal bonds must be broken in the arena. Maybe she's trying to manipulate you. Some Champions and their partners use dirty tricks to gain the upper hand. She probably doesn't have an ill sister at all."

Come on, Ryan, do you really have to be such a jerk?

"That's why I'm gonna visit her this afternoon," I say. "And you can't stop me."

Ryan sighs. "You're making a mistake, Zoya."

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. You never know - we may need allies in the future and I like to have people on my side. I can't force you to go. But you also can't force me to stay."

"Fine," Ryan retorts, probably unaware this word is more commonly said by pissed up females. "If you needed me, I'll be in that small coffee bar next to the village. I need to have some caffeine to calm down." He gives me a judging look and I return it. I'll stick to my plans and visit Katerina, also to prove Ryan we're two equal partners and he's not the boss around here.

I run towards the girl who, alongside Castor, is ready to leave the arena. "Katerina!" I shout at her. The girl turns around and brightens up. Her Champion also looks at me with a curious expression with raised eyebrows. He's still wearing his Champion costume, a black-and-white leather suit loosely resembling traditional Greek armor with a short cape and a sash across his chest. I changed into my casual clothes after my last fight.

"Zoya! You didn't forget!" Katerina cheers. "Sotiris? This is the girl I told you about."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Zoya," Sotiris says with a deep, judicious voice. For some reason, he speaks with a slight Greek accent similar to Katerina's even though most, if not all, Castaways have an eastern accent. Also, his name sounds Greek. It's almost he was born here, but that doesn't make sense.