Phase 2, part 4

We step inside

We step inside. Endless streams of people are entering and leaving. I've never seen so many people at one place - even the Castaway market was nothing compared to this. Both the Healthy and Castaways, eagerly talking to each other, looking for their destination.

The building is divided into four floors, each one containing countless stores. The brand names are attacking me in all directions, just like powerful, electronic music coming from the speakers.

Just recently, I started to enjoy this world's music. We usually didn't have time for any kind of culture, and if we did, we had just several dismal poems and folk songs performed on primitive instruments or anthems of individual Tribes. Nothing as lively, energetic, vibrant, emotive as this.

Ryan, however, doesn't share my fascination. "If I only could turn off this stupid music," he grumbles.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"This is a shopping mall," Ryan explains. "It's called the mall because instead of going to just one store, you are going to them all."

I can see he's right. One brief look around and I already see at least ten different kinds of stores divided into sections marked by colorful hologram signboards: World of Electronics. Everything to Wear. Castaway Area. Gastrozone. Active Life. And many other.

In the central atrium, there is a relaxation area with lots of comfortable-looking sofas filled with people, either talking to each other or waiting for their relatives to finish the shopping. Every sofa holds a small holographic screen with several TV programs available to watch. Most of people are sipping from a mug of coffee or a glass of alcohol sold at a bar in the centre of the atrium.

The whole place is a downright maze. I see numerous escalators and elevators of different colors transporting the people into desired floors. "I know it's a little chaotic," Ryan notices my amazement. "It took me, like, five visits to familiarize myself at least a bit. Fortunately, there is a little help here."

He approaches a white pedestal with a blue button on it. Upon pressing, it projects a large hologram of the whole centre accompanied by a legend telling us the location of all stores. Ryan rotates the hologram, zooming in and out, probably to amaze me with the technology.

I have to admit, he's successful.

After he closes the hologram, he looks at me. "What about some shopping? I hate shopping."

I smirk. "Do you have a list of reasons why?"

"Yes, but it has only twenty-two items."

We use a yellow escalator to get to the second floor. I was presuming Ryan will guide me to the Castaway Area department of the mall. I can see stores with flashy labels like GUNNERSON & REYNOLDS Augment Store, ARIANNE'S Champion Costumes (Made-to-measure), AVIA Prosthesis Store (of course) and even a Castaway Surgery, Dr. Brian O'Riley. Who would have guessed Castaways need so many stores for themselves? The Neoclash fighting, which I'll be also a part of one day, is really a great business here.