Phase 5, part 3

Together with Ryan, we watch the live stream of the Second-league tournamment in Madrid

Together with Ryan, we watch the live stream of the Second-league tournamment in Madrid. I have another opportuinty to see Nightingale in action. Her opponent is a Champion called Gravitheus. The powerful magnet in his gauntlet allows him to seemingly play with gravity and pull his opponents towards him.

Initially, it looks like an easy match. Nightingale is flying across the battlefield like a ragdoll and Gravitheus clearly has the upper hand. The score is two Fatal points for him, one for Nightingale.

Then, the scenario identical to the fight with Okeanos I watched happens. It's like the woman caught a second breath. Gravitheus suddenly seems slow and clumsy compared to her, not even his proth can help him. Nightingale inflicts one deadly strike after another until Gravitheus is defeated.

Nightingale stands in the middle of the arena, proud and confident as always, bowing to the cheering crowd. Gravitheus looks... well... defeated.

"This bitch. How does she do it?" Ryan laments. "She doesn't seem to ever lose!"

I shrug. "Who knows. She's probably just this good. To be honest... I wouldn't like to face her. She's deadly. It's like her every move was perfectly calculated. Something I can't do yet. But if I want to become a Champion of Champions someday... I'll have to face her."

"Unless someone defeats her before you," Ryan notes.

Even though I wouldn't admit it, Nightingale's graceful victories motivate me even further. I am already registered to another Newcastle Skirmish and this time, I'm determined to win.

Odin and Scarlet Sparrow taught me some new tricks. I got stronger a little bit. I also learned a lot by watching the professionals. It's like my theoretical preparation.

A few days later, at the Skirmish.

Third time's the charm.

"Oh look, the loser wants to try again," Red Queen mocks me.

"Shut up, Regina," a female Champion I don't know yet scolds her. "It wasn't as easy win as you boast. You were struggling. If you meet her again, you lose."

Red Queen gives her a disgusted look.

After a while, I find out Red Queen won't be my opponent for today. She gets paired with another Champion and wins. However, my fight will be a rematch. My opponent is Jackdaw.

"I'm glad for it," I smile at him. "This time, I'll make it to the end."

"I hope so," Jackdaw replies. "This time, I want to win fairly."

We step into the arena.

Arena configuration complete. INF system active. Champions on their spots. Ten seconds for preparation remaining.

Get ready. Begin.

Jackdaw learned from the last time. He doesn't attack recklessly. He just uncoils the fan-shaped set of knives on his forearm and plays the waiting game. He wants me to make the first move.