Phase 2: Zoya 2.0, part 1

"The Castaway's consent is required before conducting any performance-increasing surgery. Such surgery mustn't worsen the quality of the Castaway's life in any way. It is forbidden to amputate completely healthy limbs of the Castaway."

"If the Castaway refuses to cooperate with their new owner, they are free to leave, but only after they manage to return the owner's investments into their purchase and artifical body parts."

The Law of the Castaways, abridged

I have so many things to say, but for some reason, I'm speechless

I have so many things to say, but for some reason, I'm speechless. I have no idea where to start. My head is spinning from the sensory overdose.

The colors. All the colors. Finally, the gray is gone. All around me is pure white, fresh green, calming blue, intense red and many, many more. I feel so small, yet so big and important. It seems like this new world filled with colors, moving pictures and things I wouldn't believe they exist seems to be inviting me, beckoning me to discover all its secrets.

But the world isn't going to give them for free. I encounter something shocking every second. In the Dead Zone, it was at least clear what was dangerous for you. This world, however, is so full of the unknown that you're afraid to take any step forward. It seems welcoming at first, but it is full of hidden dangers.

During the several hours long train ride, I learned about as many new things as I did during the fifteen years in the Dead Zone. About the world of the Healthy, its technologies and rules, about the people. I had some wild guesses about what can be behind the walls dividing the world of the Castaways and the Healthy. But my imagination couldn't prepare me for what I'm going to see.

And then finally, we arrived home.

When I see Ryan's house, I have to hold back tears. All around me are vast plains full of fresh grass. The sky is blue, without a trace of ash and dust. The house itself looks like several white cubes fused together. Judging from the ruins found in the Dead Zone, the houses in the past looked different. This one gives a strict, impersonal impression, but it suits Ryan well, I guess.

Right now, I don't even care about the house's appearance. It's a roof above my head. In my past life, there was no such thing as a permanent home, unless you were a member of a farmer Tribe. Well, when you were lucky, you could find an abandoned building and settle there for a night. But these shelters were usually taken by dangerous animals or hostile Tribes. That means I had to spend most of my nights after I lost my parents and my Tribe under the open sky.

Ryan approaches the main door. He pushes a button on the rim and says: "Three point fourteen tons of chocolate." A green light shines above the button accompanied by a beep. The door opens by itself and lets Ryan in. He gestures me to come inside.

I follow him and find myself amazed once again. I step into the living room with only a basic furnishing. I also can't say it's perfectly clean. But it's still better than anything I've ever visited. The chairs look so comfortable I'd love to run towards it and collapse on it. But, for obvious reasons, running is an utopia for me.