Phase 10, part 2

The inside of the arena is just as impressive as the outside

The inside of the arena is just as impressive as the outside. The terraces can hold much more viewers than any other arena I fought in. The air is filled with buzzing of catering drones. Instead of large jumbotrons, holographic screens are projected above the arena to make sure everyone will enjoy the event. I see giant pillars with limelights that are probably used at night.

The atmosphere is so thrilling I stop thinking about Nightingale and Isaiah. My only thought is: How cool would it be if I managed to win this magnificent tournament in this beautiful arena.

First of all, we see a performance of a local alternative metal band which succeeds in getting everyone into a right mood. Their songs are accompanied by holographic illusions - flames, raining glass shards, snowstorm. The limelights on the pillars are also holographic projectors, perfect to create the right atmosphere.

After several songs, the rockers leave the arena and it's up to the commentator to greet us and wish us good luck on the tournament. Then he starts the preliminary rounds.

Even the way of transportation between the terraces and arena is extraordinary. Since the gap between them is too big to just jump there, the contestants stand on round black platforms which illuminate the Champion from beneath and gives the viewers a great opportunity to examine them closely on the holo-screens. Then, the platform, powered by a Counter-gravity engine, floats into the arena where the fighters jump off.

I'm so hyped I win four out of five today's fights. Also both Sotiris and Svetlana don't seem to have problems with final rounds qualification. I feel truly free. The audience is cheering for me, some of them waving small flags with my symbol.

If I win this out, Ryan will be finally able to start his research...

I closely observe Isaiah's fights. He wins only two out of five and it's possible he won't make it to the final rounds. God, how I wish it happened. Then, I wouldn't have to worry about fighting Isaiah in the finals. Would I win this time? Or would my emotions stop me again?

When the day one is finished, it's already after sunset. Tired, yet satisfied, we go to the homes that have been assigned to us at the registration. I probably don't have to say the interior contains all the latest technologies and feels like a mansion of a rich technocrat.

The stickers which read Powered by AVIA let us know we can use voice commands to operate almost anything inside - it's even more advanced than the AVIA system is Ryan's house. Instead of a normal shower, I take a long bath. I think I deserve it.

When I get back to Ryan, who is reading a book in the main room, he gestures me to sit next to him. "I've been thinking," he says.

"That's always a dangerous game, right?" I smirk.

He rolls his eyes. "Zoya, I'm trying to be serious. We want to convict Nightingale, right? I think we should talk to a person who is the closest to her... kind of."