Phase 8, part 4

I can't look at Maverick with the same eyes anymore

I can't look at Maverick with the same eyes anymore. Not now, when I know that this man shared the past with Zoya. He finally took off his mask, revealing his face to the world. That way, I can at least partially see what's happening inside of him right now.

One half of his face is death-pale, the other half is covered in pigment scars. Right now, his dark eyes don't show any signs of aggression. It seems he respects me as an opponent and I'll do the same.

However, I can't ignore the plea Zoya said when I entered the arena.

Sotiris, please, defeat him. I can't cope with his presence. I need him to go.

I can understand why did she say that. Since she took off Maverick's mask during their preliminary fight, she seems disconcerted, inattentive. I know it had to be a shock for her. She needs time to settle with the new situation and that's what I'm going to give her.

After all, I owe Zoya a lot. She lost our last fight on purpose even though she could take both the prize money and the golden badge. Helena is now at home after the first part of her treatment. She looks much more lively and happy, even though the illness took its toll on her.

However, the doctors said she should recover completely if she undergoes the whole therapy.

Because of that, also my position in Katerina's family improved. There weren't any touching scenes with apologizing and "Sotiris, I was so wrong about you", but at least Katerina's parents don't act so hostile towards me anymore. I think the single "Thank you" her father told me after we brought the money home was more than million apologies.

I decided to stay with the sisters. I no longer feel hated and the parents also allowed their daughter to attend more tournamments with me. I think they did it only because of more money I can win, but every reason counts. This way, Katerina became my official partner and now, we both strive for greatness.

However, one obstacle in the journey is right in front of me.

Our arena is called the "Earthquake Zone". After irregular time periods, the arena starts to shake and tries to put us out of balance. I think I can have the upper hand here since stability is my speciality. Just like Zoya has perfect balance, I can firmly stand my ground no matter what happens.

Arena configuration complete. INF system active. Champions on their spots. Ten seconds for preparation remaining.

Get ready. Begin.

I manage to unfold my shield just in time to block Maverick's first attack. The impact of his artificial fist makes my arm tremble. And that's something unusual since my prosthesis, Titandust Paladin DEF-800, is made for extreme durability and resistance.

Maverick starts to repeatedly punch the shield with both fists. And this is also where his half-deranged expression appears in his eyes again. I know that my best strategy against Maverick's beserker rage is to stay calm and stand my ground.